Glo plug wire

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroNewb

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Has anyone come up with an easy way to take off and replace the glow plug wire from the plug?
Being new to this, we have been grabbing the wire at it's base with needle nose pliers and pulling it off the plug and reversing this to put it back on. The problem is that the wire is getting chewed up a bit.
Is there a better way???
GHM

Yeah sure , go ahead and buy yourself a glow plug igniter and it will replace your wire for good . :)

hey n.newb. I'm sure your wise enough to figure out that buying a glow plug iginter isnt the REAL answer that you were looking for.. this is what i would do: take heat shrink, and layer the spring with it, so its really thick. i would wrap it with maybe three or four pieces of heat shrink. it will stay together alot longer.. also... the blue t-max igniter wire has a "BULLIT" connector on it and you can by just that wire, and replace it from the wire harness. when they go bad, wich as you know ,they will. you can just buy the $1.50 wire for the t-max and and simply replace it after the "bullit" conector..you will not need the whole wire harness, just the blue wire..

Fuel tubing over the entire wire works great too. I am with Nicholas though, I prefer an ignitor.

The ignitor will not drain your battery as much either. Get the ignotor and it will save you the hassle of always repairing the wire .

on my jato the wire sucks unless the engine is already hot the wire does not glo hot enough to start it glow igniter is way worth the 20 bucks vs. the 6 hours of starting hassle

I already have an ignitor for my buggy. The wires been working great except for on/off. I thought of the heat shrink also. Maybe something to bring the stiffness of the wire up to the cylinder rim to grab it better.Just thought I'd toss it out here to see if the problem had already been solved. Once again, you would think the R & D dept. at Traxass would notice how it sucks and say...HEY!!!! Lets fix this problem.

I too have had an issue on a traxxas vehicle. When my truck was brand new, the last thing I wanted to do was to pull off that wire and listen to that scratching noise. I used a piece of fuel tubing around the wire so I would have something to grab on to. Something else you could do, just get a pair of needle nose pliers and use fuel tubing, shrink wrap, or plasti-dip and make a cusion on the pliars to grab stuff like that with. It wont chew up the wire, and you would be amazed with the uses you can find for pliars with rubber grabbers.

I too have had an issue on a traxxas vehicle. When my truck was brand new, the last thing I wanted to do was to pull off that wire and listen to that scratching noise. I used a piece of fuel tubing around the wire so I would have something to grab on to. Something else you could do, just get a pair of needle nose pliers and use fuel tubing, shrink wrap, or plasti-dip and make a cusion on the pliars to grab stuff like that with. It wont chew up the wire, and you would be amazed with the uses you can find for pliars with rubber grabbers.

Great minds think alike Charlie. I was thinking the same thing. I have a pair of 45* needle nose that would be perfect.