Getting new engine any tips for setting it up?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel J

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
Hello everybody, I am getting a new engine soon and I was just wondering if you need to do a heat cycle on it and how? Also tell me tips on breaking in the engine and the way you do it. Thanks btw it's a .18 nitro engine!

Just be sure you mark your bottom dead center (BDC) on the flywheel and always roll the piston back to BDC immediately after each and every run. You do not want to let the sleeve cool down with the piston up top. Best way to do this is by feel, or by removing glow plug and checking visually to make the mark on your flywheel. Biggest thing a lot of nitro folks forget on break in when you have all these other steps, tuning, etc. BDC is critical to compression and health of the engine.

Just be sure you mark your bottom dead center (BDC) on the flywheel and always roll the piston back to BDC immediately after each and every run. You do not want to let the sleeve cool down with the piston up top. Best way to do this is by feel, or by removing glow plug and checking visually to make the mark on your flywheel. Biggest thing a lot of nitro folks forget on break in when you have all these other steps, tuning, etc. BDC is critical to compression and health of the engine.
Thanks for the tips mate! Did you do the heat cycle method? Having a lot of trouble understanding it

I never really bought new, always ended up with engines that were not broken in properly or shut off and turned to BDC while engine was still hot. One time I did an on road nitro with an O.S. .18 engine and followed the guide Woodie mentioned and that thing ran like a champ. First pull start, always easy to tune. Tons of power. I used to think it was just because OS made quality engines, but looking back, I bet I got good deals on my second hand nitros because they couldn’t keep them running because they rushed the break in or didn’t do it at all.

Thanks for the tips mate! Did you do the heat cycle method? Having a lot of trouble understanding it
I have done it for over 20 engines, quite a few brands. Cheaper engines typically take fewer tanks before they loosen up. More engines don't loosen up much until tanks 8+. Of those, they all really seem to settle down and respond well to tune around the 1 gallon mark.

My steps differ a bit, I'm sure everyone has a variation of what was posted above in that link. I shut mine of and them cool to around 80F with the piston and BDC between the first 3-4 tanks. I also lean it out a bit to get the temps up above 200F during tanks 2-3+. I start with it relatively rich at the factory settings. I adjust the tune as the engine starts to respond and try to get it above 200F by leaning it a bit by the time I finish tank 3. I never let it just sit and idle for any of the tanks. I gently blip the throttle after accelerating like the instructions suggest to keep it from loading up on fuel as the vehicle slows down. Usually by tanks 5 on up, I don't shut it off.

I don't bash hard for the first gallon, very little WOT running. After a gallon, then I run them hard. Even after break-in, for the entire life of the engine, I always put the piston at BDC before it cools off.

I won't break an engine in if the ambient temp is below 50F. Above that, regardless of ambient temp, I heat the engine to at least 100F before starting. Usually on the floor of my 1:1 car with the heat on high for the drive to break it in gets it up above 90F.

Back