Getting a Truggie But torn b/w Xray or "moo-gen"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Rebel

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys I've been in nitro r/c for awhile (mainly post on traxxas site as i have a revo) and i've been running at a local track with my revo and i keep having to upgrade, change, and modify to run decent and its also a pain to work on so i've decided to get into the truggy crowd with both feet.... I've been talking to the guys at the track reading around and picked my top two and done research on both but haven't ever really seen an x-ray run except their buggy i have no basis for opinion to form on it. On the other hand moo-gens seem to run rampant on the track and most the "fast" guys run them and they seem to run them trouble free for the most part.i was wondering bout the ups and downs of both and if the tires that come with the x-ray truggie are worth a flip thanks for the help in advance-Q

p.s. sorry for the long post but for the first official post after the meet and greet might as well be a "good" on lol

I'm a Mugen guy myself but I ran an Xray buggy before the Mugen. It's very hard to beat Xray quality, they make one of the finest machines around. That being said, I almost felt as though the XB8 was too adjustable making it a little difficult to nail the setup I was after. Coupled with the fact that Xray parts were harder to get at the time I was running it. The XT8 is still somewhat new and I've only seen a few of them out. I actually just ran against one this weekend but unfortunately I didn't get scored for three laps because of the placement of the loop, but I was able to turn in under him. I've been running the 5T pretty much since it came out and it's been a very good machine for me.

I'm a Mugen guy myself but I ran an Xray buggy before the Mugen. It's very hard to beat Xray quality, they make one of the finest machines around. That being said, I almost felt as though the XB8 was too adjustable making it a little difficult to nail the setup I was after. Coupled with the fact that Xray parts were harder to get at the time I was running it. The XT8 is still somewhat new and I've only seen a few of them out. I actually just ran against one this weekend but unfortunately I didn't get scored for three laps because of the placement of the loop, but I was able to turn in under him. I've been running the 5T pretty much since it came out and it's been a very good machine for me.

thats what i was worried about the XT8 i dont think i need a super amount of adjustability, the 5t is probly more than i'll ever need plus the lhs stocks a heavy amount of mugen parts thanks bro also i haven't really heard much about them but are LRP motors any good specifically the .28 p/s or n/ps or Axials .28RR motor
if not what would you suggest as being a strong and reliable and relatively easy to tune(fantacy engine lol) motor that isn't outragously expensive and once again thank you

Last edited:
I also have the Mugen 5T. I tried to race but my time constraints held me back. I like XRAY but never got one since the 5T I got was such a deal. I currently run the 5T Prospec now with a meager..OS21 VZB. The durablility helps me since I suck at driving but score on landing wrong... LOL

I also have the Mugen 5T. I tried to race but my time constraints held me back. I like XRAY but never got one since the 5T I got was such a deal. I currently run the 5T Prospec now with a meager..OS21 VZB. The durablility helps me since I suck at driving but score on landing wrong... LOL

Where'd you pick yours up from if you dont mind me asking

V-spec is hard to beat. I run a stock one for club racing and have an EB Mods V-spec for bigger events unless the track is big and open, then out comes my RB Mods Ninja! I have a Werks B7 Teamline I bought and never broke in that I am going to sell. It's never seen fuel and I run Radical engines in my buggy so I'm just going to get rid of it. Personally, the Mugen doesn't need a .28.

Mine was near new but used. I tore mine down to inspect all parts. I had to re-do the diffs to my knowledge and liking. Mine was a local deal you could say...

If I could find someone to trade me for an 8-T I would consider it but seeing as the 5-T has received no play... I will wait till next season.

IMO for the grunt that some of the 21 engines put out, a 28 is just an overkill bu great for bashers. Bigger engines to brag about but I bet I can do better around the track with my trusty ole 21 VZB.Its dated but is good for my style.

If you search a little you can find a good mill cheap. That particular 3-port is a decent motor but I think it would really underpower a truggy. It's nice for a buggy, especially indoor but I just think it doesn't have enough umph to be in a truggy.

I agree with what everyone has said here!

As for a mill, if your looking for around $200, most .21's will seem a BIT and only a BIT underpowered. BUT you will usually get more laps iwth a decent .21 per tank. The one you linked is good, but I had a Collari B3(now Werks) in my buggy then my truggy, and it worked very well on my short track. The B7 is an ideal mid priced mill, if you can find one "used"(hint,hint) it would work really well on a larger track.

If you go .28, the LRP is a powerhouse for the price. I had a Picco .28 and it wasd an animal!!! I would say those 2 are about the best "bang for the buck".

Back