General Kit Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP-12

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Are the only buildable kits the higher end kits that don’t come with engines, servos, ect.
I want to build my own kit from the ground up, but am having a hard time justifying spending 1300+ on all the parts I need to complete the elite kit.
Bur then again I think is it a buy once cry once sorta situation. Where the quality will reflect the price.
Will I notice a huge difference from the RTR kit that I am kind of bored of. I’ve waited on upgrading as I’ve been eying the elite kit.

Do the higher end kits hold value better than their RTR versions?

Any input is much appreciated!

Hold value? You're in the wrong hobby. You need to get into classic cars or real estate for that. :rolex:
It's not a matter of holding value but getting a lot of satisfaction without breaking something every time out.

Not so much hold value, but not be worth more than much after purchasing. Don’t want to pay 1300 and only get back a couple hundred if I decide to buy and sell later on.

Since I have $9000 into my hot rod, (not original anything) and know I would never get even 25% back if I ever sold it, I will use the vintage toy comparison. If you took it out of the package, you just started the depreciation effect, as well as a huge penalty for opening it.
I have seen Rustler rollers out there selling for $100-$150, when a new Rustler XL-5 (brushed) now sells for $180. Used RC vehicles often sell for 75% or more of their original purchase price. Me personally, I would just get the new vehicle because I know no one broke it, bandaged it back together, and sold it to me under the explanation "I only tried it a few times and it wasn't for me". To say nothing for the fact that I get no warranty that way.
I like to build cars RC and 1:1. Many people here go the "break it, then upgrade the parts" route. I realize I am not offering much of an opinion here, but maybe some thought. Hope it helps somehow.
And yes, I did build an RC version of that $9000 hot rod. May show it someday.

Rc does not hold any type of value.. This Hobby is about the fun it gives you and the excitement it brings to others.. I flipped cars in the 70-89 now that was for padding my pockets so I could play with my Toys had many..(this is a toy)..I've found I get outa this hobby what I put into it..I dont feel you can get anywhere near what you put into a rc(just not gonna happen) Built a couple Gooseinators for a guy years ago.. built 2 for myself and sold to local golf courses..sure I made money but it was the joy of building it from scratch was the main thing.

On the other hand, which started box would work with the x elite? I can’t find one specific to that model.

I'd say if your going to be spending that type of money on something,it has to be something that you love.
Do your homework and compare with other options. Your purchasing because you like the kit or vehicle cause, it makes you feel good.
If your buying for any other reason then, it's not for you.
The minute you start regretting your purchase,your opinion of the hobby changes,especially after spending that much money. If the money is already concerning you on recoup value ,DONT BUY. Your already Trying to justify the cost in case you don't like it,that's not a good starting place. I think something a little less expensive would be a better move until you figure what it is that you want out of this hobby. It is a hobby and if your not having fun then you miss the whole point. Regret sucks no matter the situation.
Best of luck in your decision.

I'd say if your going to be spending that type of money on something,it has to be something that you love.
Do your homework and compare with other options. Your purchasing because you like the kit or vehicle cause, it makes you feel good.
If your buying for any other reason then, it's not for you.
The minute you start regretting your purchase,your opinion of the hobby changes,especially after spending that much money. If the money is already concerning you on recoup value ,DONT BUY. Your already Trying to justify the cost in case you don't like it,that's not a good starting place. I think something a little less expensive would be a better move until you figure what it is that you want out of this hobby. It is a hobby and if your not having fun then you miss the whole point. Regret sucks no matter the situation.
Best of luck in your decision.
this 100%

what is your current model that you are comparing RTR quality from?
if its something like traxxas, or HSP or something along those lines, you will notice a huge jump in quality just going to a more high end RTR.
if you already have a higher end RTR, you might notice a bit of improvement going to a kit, but much of the "kit" component upgrades are directed at adjust ability and racing.
RCs pretty much as soon as they are purchased, drop to about 1/2-3/4 the price that it was bought for. well used closer to 1/2 or lower.
kits typically come with most of the upgrades sold by the manufacturer. sometimes those upgrades are worthwhile, other times the upgrade is just kind of a neat little option, but more directed at people racing. which most kits are aimed at is for people to race.
if you are going to get into the hobby with a budget mind, i would almost recommend getting something like a TLR 8ight RTR, or 8ight T RTR, Kyosho Inferno Neo 3.0 or Neo 3.0 ST.

both are great durable platforms, plenty of parts support, and current models that i know of at this time.
they can be easily upgraded to suit your driving style.

Back