gearing for my driving

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a 2.5 T-Maxx for those of you who don't know. It still has a mostly stock drive train except for a motor saver and fuel filter and exhaust is on the way. Anyway, about 85 to 90 percent of my driving is in the low to mid rpm range, and I would like to change the gears in the maxx to fit my driving style. This is one subject that I know nothing about yet, so it would be great for you guys to give me some suggestions on which gear is best to change and what size gears I should get to experiment. I was thinking that it was the spur gear that I needed to change, but as I said I'm open to all suggestions. If it was a 1:1 car, I would step the rear end up from 3.71:1 to 4.11:1 gears. Hope this helps you guys to understand what I'm trying to do. Oh yea, I have the stock wheels and tires on it now and I ordered a set of factory 3.3 wheels and talon tires, and I think the outside tire diameter will be about the same.

It actually all depends on if you want to increase bottom end or top end. Much like the example you gave of replacing rear end gears from 3:71 - 4:11 would give you more bottom end but you would sacrifice top end. Just as the 4:56 gears I had in my AMX launched like a raped ape, but top end sucked, I swithed to 3:73 so I could drive it around town a bit more.

On the Maxx start with the spur and clutchbell. If you want more bottom end replace the clutchbell with a lower tooth count, say go from a 20 to an 18 or 17. You could also put a larger spur gear i.e. go from a 70 to a 72 tooth gear. The exact opposite would increase top end at the loss of bottom end. i.e going to a clutchbell with more teeth, or a spur with less. on my Maxx I run an 18-72 set up and it's perfect for me.

Thanks a lot, thats exactly what I needed to know. I don't need as much top end as I have now, because I hardly ever stretch it o ut and let it get wound up to its full speed as it is. I would rather not have that much top speed but have quicker acceration.

Back