Futile Attempt At Snow Bashing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Short story - I worked my butt off today to try and get some snow bashing time but it didn't pan out. Too many issues and I ran out of time. :\

That's really the point of this post so you can stop here and move on. If you want full details,keep reading. I was bored so I typed out the whole story below. :)

Here in Joplin MO we got our first snow of the year,well actually 2 years. Nothing lasted a full day last year. And it's been a long time since I had time and bashed any of my nitro rigs so I figured today it was on!

I quickly ran into road block #1. My usual basher,the Savage,has a blown diff from it's last time out and I don't have parts to fix it yet.

Switch to plan B - my Associated SC8. The road is hard packed so I figured it would be a blast to run on it. The SC8 has been on the shelf untouched for at least 2-3 years now so I figure there will be a little to do before I can bash,but shouldn't be a real problem. WRONG!

I pull it out and take the lid off and OMG! Last time out with it I apparently forgot to do any after run maintenance. I don't know what's worse,the fact I didn't clean it up or the fact I can't remember getting it dirty LOL. Anyways,time to get it ready.

First I break out all 3 chargers and get the receiver pack,glow ignitor and roto start batteries charging. Meanwhile I check the truck and find that the filler cap has broken off the the gas tank and the engine is froze up. I also just now remember I needed money a while back and sold the transmitter and receiver out of it so I have to find some thing to use. Hmmm... going to be more work than anticipated.

The gas tank is a non-issue,I know I have a new one for it so I focus on the engine. Upon removal and dis-assembly,I find everything in good shape,just gummed up. I soaked the one-way bearing in WD-40 and also used it to free up the piston and bearings. A little cleaning and some lubrication and the engine is free and well again. Bolt it back in the chassis and the worst should be done.

A little digging in my part drawers and bingo! I found the new fuel tank complete with new hoses already cut to fit. A simple sit it in place and two clips the tank is good.

Now it's time to figure out the tx/rx issue. Time to rob the Savage! While removing the receiver from the Savage,the battery chargers start chiming that they are done. I still need the transmitter charged so I start it then go to hooking up the receiver. And then here is another problem. The battery/receiver box is small on this truck,the receiver is big.

To get past this I ended up with hillbilly fix. The battery is a small LiPo,not a hump pack so I am able to fit it and the receiver in the bottom of the box by standing them on their sides. However the cover will not work this way so I used some velcro straps to hold them down. Should be fine,I don't plan on jumping or anything,just some flat track drifting.

Transmitter charge is done,should be time to fire it up and play right? Nope :( I turn the transmitter on,solid red light - good. I turn on the receiver,nothing. I check connections at the switch - good. Check the receiver - good. Still nothing. Remember this is a LiPo battery so I have a regulator in line to the receiver.Turns out one end of it is loose but looked like it was connected good.

Now it's time to fire it up. I head out to garage,fill it up with fuel,turn on the transmitter,receiver and check all functions - good. I use the roto start and spin the engine to prime it,then attach the ignitor and spin it some more. Nothing. I recheck the ignitor and it's already dead. The battery did not hold it's charge. It's a sub c and I don't have any others so it's hillbilly time again. I wrapped some paper around an AA battery and I'm able to make it work.

Try again. Nothing. I look outside and see it's getting dark - game over for today. After dinner,I start thinking about what could be the issue and conclude the carb must be plugged up. I check further and find out fuel isn't even getting to the carb. Lighting isn't real good in my garage and the fuel I'm running is Losi Nitortane and it is clear so it really wasn't getting it primed. I did a little carb cleaning so maybe it's good to go. keep my fingers crossed!

Enough for tonight,hopefully I can get some run time and video tomorrow but I'm not sure if that can happen either. I have church in the morning and a church board meeting at 2 in the afternoon then another class at 6. My snow bashing this go around may be a total bust :\

Hang in here buddy, I'm itching for some snow here to run my TF2 in, we were supposed to get some last night but it missed us.

Wow that sounds like you followed me around for a ddaywhen I messed with my volcano lol
At first is was this issue that issue every time i touched it but i started to replace all the issues. Now I've got a nice clean truck ready to run upgraded and waiting for a good motor! Those tokis were junk and I'm probably selling them on ebay!
Now I have my truck waiting for a motor to be finished and I have my ofna on its way and a mac .28 being sent to me from a great friend!
Soon I will get some good bashing in or I will kill someone lol

I'm real sure that everyone in this hobby can relate to everything you experienced. (because we've all done it!) I spent yesterday putting a 2.5 Traxxas engine in a Tmaxx just to make sure it runs ok but it wouldn't start. About 3 months ago, I had the sleeve pinched and when I assembled it, I had the piston in wrong. (backwards). So I left it laying on the workbench until yesterday. I finally brought it up to my room, took it apart and flipped the piston around and when finished, took it out to the garage and tried to start it. It wouldn't start. Turns out that sometime in the last 3 month while it was laying out on the workbench, I took it apart and flipped the piston around so when I did it again yesterday, I flipped it around backward again. (I am almost 59 yrs old and have the CRS disease!) I will sooner or later get it right.

I have always had problems with glow plug ignitors but I have finally resolved that issue too. I made a hillbilly ignitor buy taking 4 sub C batteries and wiring them in parallel. I used the glow plug wire off of a Traxxas easy start harness and a small alligator clip. Now I have enough battery juice to last all day.

I rarely get to prep my cars and bash in the same day. Its always something that comes up, mysteriously broken or missing parts, battery issues, etc. So I've made it routine to prep one day, bash the following day. I also bring multiple cars with me so if I crash one, I can break out another, and another and so on.

Nitro how many do you have? How many do you break? How hard of a basher are you? How many do you bring?
I hwvent bashed in about a month sadly:( ran too lean last run:( but shoul be up this week with my new ofna! :D

If the engine and carb were gummed up, clean out or replace your fuel line. I had the same "no fuel to the carb" issue when I was working on a Revo that sat up for a few years, I couldn't figure it out, it ended up being gummed up fuel lines. They looked clear but when I pinched it and slid my fingers down, the gummed up fuel started oozing out.

Hey trout few questions! What do you bash for rigs, whats your terrain? How hard do you bash? How many vehicles do you have and how many do you bring?
Havent run mine in about a month sadly but should be going soon with my new ofna! :D

Nitro how many do you have? How many do you break? How hard of a basher are you? How many do you bring?
According to my profile, I have 16 trucks total, 12 ready to roll. I usually bring about 6 with me in a given day, I run them in rotation to to keep them all in running shape. I can't really say for sure how many I break, it varies. I used to go balls out with all of them but replacing parts after every outing got old so ...I mellowed a bit. Some of my cars I can continue beat the hell out of, like my buggies, others like my T Maxxes and Schumachers I go a little easier on them.

If the engine and carb were gummed up, clean out or replace your fuel line. I had the same "no fuel to the carb" issue when I was working on a Revo that sat up for a few years, I couldn't figure it out, it ended up being gummed up fuel lines. They looked clear but when I pinched it and slid my fingers down, the gummed up fuel started oozing out.

If you noticed above,I had new lines all ready to go with the tank and they were installed at the same time. I found the issue today and got it running. The SC8s came from the factory with a primer bulb in the lines. When the truck was new it worked great but today no matter how much I tried to prime it,the bulb would not fill up and let fuel go to the carb. I removed the bulb and hooked the hose directly to the carb and shazam! 10min of satisfaction! Video at 11 :hehe:

no matter how much I tried to prime it,the bulb would not fill up and let fuel go to the carb. I removed the bulb and hooked the hose directly to the carb and shazam!

Probably a crack in the bulb itself causing an air leak. Thats why I never run
an inline fuel filter or any other inline fuel device. Theres always potential for creating an air leak. Clear tubing is helpful for priming too, you can actually see if the fuel is being drawn into the carb unlike colored tubing.:hehe:

Good info guys!
But I'm still waiting on the video... and my package to come in the mail sadly:(

hay racer. here in wichita we missed the snow, very rare. my three RCs are down for the count, and family issues is stopping RC playing. how many family members can i kill before i go to jail?

Probably a crack in the bulb itself causing an air leak. Thats why I never run
an inline fuel filter or any other inline fuel device. Theres always potential for creating an air leak. Clear tubing is helpful for priming too, you can actually see if the fuel is being drawn into the carb unlike colored tubing.:hehe:

Yeah I'm sure it has crack or something but I was surprised since it is new. My fuel line is clear but so is the fuel and when you combine that with low light in my garage you just can't see much. I pulled the line loose from the carb and primed it to see fuel if actually came out.

Good info guys!
But I'm still waiting on the video... and my package to come in the mail sadly:(

Sorry,the video will be delayed. This computer doesn't have any video tools on it yet. I should have something by the weekend.

hay racer. here in wichita we missed the snow, very rare. my three RCs are down for the count, and family issues is stopping RC playing. how many family members can i kill before i go to jail?

No snow today/tonight? It's still coming down now here. On the family issues,you're on your own there bro!

You sound like me. Happens every fricken time. Went to run my MERV after 6 months, bad batteries. Broke out the Li-Po and charger, charger wouldn't balance and kept giving me errors. Screw it, I'll drive my T-Maxx. Forgot about the broken steering servo. Took out the Bandit, forgot about the stripped diff. Took out the Nitro Rustler, bad AA holder and switch. Broke out the Hyper 7, no receiver pack. I'm so done, lol.

You sound like me. Happens every fricken time. Went to run my MERV after 6 months, bad batteries. Broke out the Li-Po and charger, charger wouldn't balance and kept giving me errors. Screw it, I'll drive my T-Maxx. Forgot about the broken steering servo. Took out the Bandit, forgot about the stripped diff. Took out the Nitro Rustler, bad AA holder and switch. Broke out the Hyper 7, no receiver pack. I'm so done, lol.

Finally someone worse then me! Lol
I'm getting better :)

Finally someone worse then me! Lol
I'm getting better :)

Oh it's pretty bad, don't worry. My Marui Ninja also had a bad esc. I soldered a new holder onto my switch for the bad one, and it still didn't work. Bad switch or receiver wire I guess. Damn. I don't get a break.

Now my nitro rustler, when I cover the exhaust tip to cause back pressure for starting, fuel comes up the line and it's a direct line into the exhaust. Just pours out gas for a couple seconds, then it's fine. *sigh* no compression in my Hyper .21 either.

Now I have to buy Christmas presents. Receiver pack has to wait.

Oh it's pretty bad, don't worry. My Marui Ninja also had a bad esc. I soldered a new holder onto my switch for the bad one, and it still didn't work. Bad switch or receiver wire I guess. Damn. I don't get a break.

Now my nitro rustler, when I cover the exhaust tip to cause back pressure for starting, fuel comes up the line and it's a direct line into the exhaust. Just pours out gas for a couple seconds, then it's fine. *sigh* no compression in my Hyper .21 either.

Now I have to buy Christmas presents. Receiver pack has to wait.

Atleast you get to work on them a little!
Yea most everything I want is also on hold.. as fines and Christmas is here. But I got plenty to tinker with! And I'm finally having fun!
Posting some pics now in my other thread!

Atleast you get to work on them a little!
Yea most everything I want is also on hold.. as fines and Christmas is here. But I got plenty to tinker with! And I'm finally having fun!
Posting some pics now in my other thread!

That's true. I'm having a lot of fun with my Bandit and a lot of fun with my Nitro Rustler for now. I'm not quitting for a second time!