Frustrating Tuning problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman1204

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just when I thought I had this whole nitro thing down it comes back and smacks me right back down in my place.

My revo has a 3.3 that has roughly 4-5 gallons on it and has always ran great. Just tried to fire it back up again last weekend and it would not idle for anything. It would run ok but was killing glow plugs and having flame outs like crazy. I figured must be an airleak. I spent all day today trying to fix it and can not get it fixed to save my life.

Things I have tried so far:

changed complete exhaust system including header and pipe
Swaped fuel tanks with another revo
changed all fuel lines
swapped carbs with a brand new 3.3

After none of that worked I just figured the 3.3 was worn out and had lost all pinch so I pulled it out. It was very easy to spin by hand even with a glowplug in so I would guess it is probably done. I pulled a fresh 3.3 off the shelf and was certain that would solve my problem. NOPE! same freaking problems ... Still wont idle. It is not getting hot at all but is still killing glow plugs with a stupid rich tune.

I am at a complete loss!

The original ones rod bushing toast? And the second one is a brand new engine?

The original one is just flat worn out I think. It has very little resistance when spinning it by hand even with a glowplug in it. It was my very first nitro engine so it has had a rough 5 gallons :)

The second one I swapped in has about a gallon on it and was never really run very hard.

I have two more that each have less than a gallon on them that I can try but I dont think it is the engine at this point.

Well another day and still can't figure this one out. It just flat out wont idle! I have replaced everything I can think to replace and it still just wont idle. It runs great and temps are good but if you let off the throttle it just dies no matter what. I have changed glow plugs and even bought a fresh gallon of fuel today and still no luck.

I have one more 3.3 that I know was working when it was taking out of a tmaxx during a brushless conversion so I will try that tonight and see what happens.

Ok stupid mistake on my part. I guess over the winter I got my pile of bad 3.3's mixed up with my good 3.3's ... Grabbed one from the other pile that I thought was bad engines and it worked great.

Guess I should really start labeling things instead of just piling on the corner of the bench.

Back