Frustrated...Please help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evildoublez

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a Losi 8ight 3.0 with a Mach 427 nitro engine that is giving me a headache. The car starts right up, but then stalls out when I give it any throttle. I'm very new to nitro rc cars but I'm fairly certain turning the low speed needle clockwise would alleviate the problem (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The frustrating part is that the car ran pretty good (the acceleration was a bit sluggish) the last time I took it out, but refuses to move an inch this time. There haven't been any adjustments made to the car during the time in-between so what would cause this?
thanks in advance!

Hello everyone,
I have a Losi 8ight 3.0 with a Mach 427 nitro engine that is giving me a headache. The car starts right up, but then stalls out when I give it any throttle. I'm very new to nitro rc cars but I'm fairly certain turning the low speed needle clockwise would alleviate the problem (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The frustrating part is that the car ran pretty good (the acceleration was a bit sluggish) the last time I took it out, but refuses to move an inch this time. There haven't been any adjustments made to the car during the time in-between so what would cause this?
thanks in advance!

If the engine was never tuned after break-in ,then that is probably your issue!

If there eccessive fuel coming out of the muffler ,then ,it needs to be leaned ,that's why it runs sluggish.
Try leaning the HSN in about a 1/4 turn in ,an see if the engine starts running better!

Need more info ,like ,did you buy the buggy new or used?

If the engine was never tuned after break-in ,then that is probably your issue!

If there eccessive fuel coming out of the muffler ,then ,it needs to be leaned ,that's why it runs sluggish.
Try leaning the HSN in about a 1/4 turn in ,an see if the engine starts running better!

Need more info ,like ,did you buy the buggy new or used?
Oh, I should start by adjusting the HSN? I thought that because it's stalling out while accelerating I would adjust the HSN? I bought it used off of ebay. According to the original owner only 2 tanks of fuel had been run through it. Do you think this has something to do with the inconsistent performance? Because it's still breaking in?
Thanks again!

Oh, I should start by adjusting the HSN? I thought that because it's stalling out while accelerating I would adjust the HSN? I bought it used off of ebay. According to the original owner only 2 tanks of fuel had been run through it. Do you think this has something to do with the inconsistent performance? Because it's still breaking in?
Thanks again!
Oops i meant: because it's stalling out while accelerating I would adjust the LSN?

Thanks again!

LOL...Yea

Engines should be slowly leaned after each tank ,once it is being leaned ,the engine should start to sound more
crispier an snappy!
When you get it to that point ,an warmed up ,then you tune your LSN ,it is for the transition from idle to full
throttle ,that setting is done by running up & down with quick stabs at the throttle ,if the engine bogs at stab ,
then it needs to be tuned as well!

if it only had 2 tanks of fuel, it is still getting broken in, in that case the rich running required will often stall the engine, but as Cbaker said slowly lean it each tank, 1/8 turn or so.
start with the HSN, then as you get close to tune with that then start on the LSN, again you are going to want to have it running rich for at least a few more (2-4) tanks leaning 1/8 turn or so a tank, otherwise will burn up quick.

Also ,I might add ,when you start leaning the engine ,the engine may start to rev high on its own ,you can tame that
down by setting the idle screw ,look at the manual an locate the idle set screw ,never try to run your car at high revving
engine ,it will destroy your clutches or a run away ,try to set the buggy on a block with the wheels off the ground until
you tame the engine!