for those of you with 1/8th scale diffs...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i ground the pinion down some more and the front drive shaft fits now but it wont turn because its binding. if the slots in my drive cup were longer it should work.

frickenjoey, i thought about the mip c-spline shaft and grinding it down but the pinion shaft is 8mm so that wont work. what drive cup are you using on your front pinion?

lessen, who made your custom drive cups? or do you possibly know a website that has all sorts of different drive cups?

My outdrives were made for me by a member here. I don't really want to advertise for him though as I cannot be sure he's able or willing to take on any side jobs.

I looked and I guess I used the cup from the Ofna Spider diffs I have. You are correct mine were also 8mm. I guess I just got lucky that the MIP Revo shaft fit for me. Damn I really wish I was near you, we could get this sucker to work...I know we could. I( spend soooo much time with a dremel trying to get stuff to work too. Frustrating!

I looked and I guess I used the cup from the Ofna Spider diffs I have. You are correct mine were also 8mm. I guess I just got lucky that the MIP Revo shaft fit for me. Damn I really wish I was near you, we could get this sucker to work...I know we could. I( spend soooo much time with a dremel trying to get stuff to work too. Frustrating!

could you give me a link or something to the exact diffs you have?

This is the closest I could find...they came from an Ofna 8.5 Pro....very hard to find it seems. I think they were prety expensive to make so they changed them up later to make them cheaper.....bastards. I got both of mine for under $30...super steal on ebay
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-hy..._921_586&sID=5082f205be6b5ae2ad4aac1b49468c84
Or MAYBE http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OFNA-HYPER-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483de60a61

Here are pictures of my build with them
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76378

i am using the hot bodies diffs recommended by flm and hardened outdrives from rc-monster. i tried to make the slots longer with the dremel but accomplished absolutely nothing. do you know anywhere that sells outdrives and has dimensions with them?

I have the same diffs as you floyd. Maybe it's not the slots that are giving you the problem. Maybe you just gotta take a little more off the end of the pinion to give more clearance to the dogbone inside the cup?

I took the pinion to a bend grinder and took plenty off it. I am positive it's binding because of the slots on the outdrive.

That is why mine was binding too. It was binding in the slots because the shaft was just the 1mm too long or something. I ground down into the cup forever then FINALLY found a shaft that would work without modification.

I don't recall, is this the rear or the front were talking about here. I had issues with the front I think. Gawd, it's been so long since I built this truck I can't remember. Heh.

Frickenjoey, I looked on towerhobbies for the driveshaft you have and it had the dimensions. Measured mine and they are the same. I will check again tho.

Lessen, this is the front we are talking about.

Well, I WAS going to try to get a measurement on mine but I can't get my caliper in there... forgot how badass my truck is.. first time I've had my hands on it in quite a while :)

lol... i appreciate all the help guys. i really want to get this thing together and start bashin'

lessen, what all is left on your build?

I FINALLY GOT IT FIGURED OUT!!!!!

i will post full details including part numbers and maybe even pics in a week or two. i am super busy with school at the moment.

Kickass!! Glad to hear it. The crapp thing is with my limited RC resources here I had to do a lot of kind expensive trial and error with a a ton of waiting for mail in the middle for my project. I am glad you got it figured out now though. For sure going to need some pictures!

I have yet to setup my 1/8th diffs on my maxx...So any info you can share is greatly appreciated! I'm basically waiting for the Picco .26 JL RD to get back "in stock" and some more money to get the driveshafts to match the diffs.

Override...are you using an extended chassis? If not then you should not run in to as much of the same problems as we did on ours. It just makes it a pain to get all sorted out. You could go with the FLM modded diff gear and alloy cases and should be just fine with the Picco .26. To do the 1/8 scale diff you need the hybrid bulks.

Last edited:
Override...are you using an extended chassis? If not then you should not run in to as much of the same problems as we did on ours. It just makes it a pain to get all sorted out. You could go with the FLM modded diff gear and alloy cases and should be just fine with the Picco .26. To do the 1/8 scale diff you need the hybrid bulks.

No I'm going to be using the stock chassis for the time being...I plan to upgrade to the FLM extended chassis down the road but that will also include a BB. I have the 1/8th scale diffs already. I bought the UE 7.5, 8 spyder front/rear diffs. I was under the impression that these would work in regular bulks.

I was told that MIP's discontinued T-Maxx 3.3 axles and center shafts would work for the cups on these. Seeing as you can still find these all over I didnt think it would be an issue.

i know i know :nopics: but i am super swamped with school and work right now and have not been able to find the time to take pictures of my maxx and how i made the diffs work as well as reassemble the truck, but i promise this truck does exist and in a few weeks when the semester is over i will unvail the beast.