FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...Can somebody please help me

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrdavis72

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Ok so the only way I can get my 3.3 to start and idle is for it to be at half throttle. I myself have been over it numerous times as well as the hobby shops, and can't figure it out. Brend new everything except piston and sleeve,because they were still in good repair,new carb,tank,lines. Lots of fuel getting through,good vacuum,good compression. Not only that but gets very hot fast,even though the fuel is spitting out the carb when running as well as tailpipe. Has to be on extreme rich setting to run. When running you give it a few revs it dies the second you put pressure to the brakes. It's been almost a year since I last drove it,it's killing me. Please Please help with some input.

Is it new fuel? What fuel and plug? What chassis? The Revo/Slayer chassis is notorious for cracking the header. And a hard hit will knock the baffle in the pipe loose which will cause all sorts of goofy problems. Have you sealed the engine up? An air leak may cause weird stuff too.

Just relax. It is probably something simple. Sounds like air leaking somewhere. Check you fuel tank cap. Make sure it is sealing properly. Change your fuel lines. Put in an LC3 plug and get some fresh 20% fuel. Make sure your igniter is working.
Another good thing to check is your throttle linkage. I had a similar problem that turned out to be weak batteries in the receiver. The batteries were too weak to operate the throttle servo. When you turn on your transmitter and receiver you should see your linkage adjust slightly. Make sure you can adjust the throttle trim. That switch can go bad sometimes. You gotta have trim adjustment on the controller. When it does start and get warmed up you will need to adjust slightly.
I hope this helps you. It is a hobby. Don't get frustrated. You are in the right place to get some good advice. Good luck.

If the fuel is spitting out of carb.,then obvousely ,its getting plenty fuel ,maybe too much!

Make sure that the cylinder head has a good seal an is tight!
I've had numerous times were the manufacture didn't tighten the head down!

Check your piston orientation, it sounds awfully similar to how the 3.3 acts if the piston is installed backwards.

If it gets hot fast and won't idle and spits fuel when it's running, I'd say your settings are too lean on the low speed needle and you're trying to compensate by setting your high speed needle too rich. Doesn't work. You need to adjust your LSN and idle screw till you have a good idle and takeoff and then adjust the HSN for top end.

I agree with Mr. SchrodeMode, sounds like the piston is in backwards. The cut in the skirt goes towards the carb.

I just re-read your first post. If it dies when you hit the brake your linkage is not properly adjusted. You need to set your idle with full brake applied and the trim all the way off. That won't correct your overheat, but it's part of your frustration.

I just re-read your first post. If it dies when you hit the brake your linkage is not properly adjusted. You need to set your idle with full brake applied and the trim all the way off. That won't correct your overheat, but it's part of your frustration.
Thanks to everyone for their great responses;yes I've checked/replaced all the obvious;2 new carbs,fuel tank & lines,plugs etc. I'll check the piston again,but I swear I was told the opposite which I thought made sense because then when at tdc you don't see the skirt through the exhaust port. But I'll take it out again and check,so the notch cut out in the skirt is to face the carb?
Also I wras told that either my inner or outer bearings was leaking compression and that was the reason why it will only start at half throttle

Is it possible that your clutch is in need of some help? Like when you apply your brakes the clutch is still grabbing and killing your motor? That isn't likely to fix a heat issue either but it might be part of your problem as well.

Is it possible that your clutch is in need of some help? Like when you apply your brakes the clutch is still grabbing and killing your motor? That isn't likely to fix a heat issue either but it might be part of your problem as well.
Eureka !!!!!!! Got her running! It was the piston in backwards after all.flipped the piston around put it together again,hit the button and no hesitation,fired right up. The reason it was getting so hot was because the wrist pin wasn't getting any lubrication.
But I thank you all for your help and advice. I'm sure I'll be back at some point looking for answers.

Back