FLM E-Maxx...rebuild?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberbricky

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I acquired a full FLM Emaxx today, it's always fun seeing how someone else put something together...anyways here is the list:

Full FLM Chassis
2200kv CC
150A Hobbyking ESC
RPM Carriers
Random dogbone CVDs all around
24mm hubs
Some kind of aluminum shocks
Ridiculous aluminum bumpers

Here is the pics:

photo1_zps8ccd1522.gif

269f131e-880b-4c7d-96a8-2ee937cda058_zps66f46fed.gif

photo51_zps8bb76913.gif

As always, I have to go through it and see what kind of mess is there...started with the rats nest of a power harness...

photo12_zps44f39447.gif

Taking out the HS-645MG used as the steering servo (???) cut the tie holding it on (???) and found a wire that was spun together:

photo4_zps9da7aa26.gif

photo22_zpsdc2f60f0.gif

Took the motor, esc and rx off also, installed a bigger steering link and better servo:

photo21_zps016de34e.gif

I decided that two sided tape doesn't cut it for holding down the ESC... so threw together a couple mounts, and I'll make a carbon fiber hold-down tomorrow:

photo31_zps2296c86b.gif

It worked out perfectly using some fuel line at the top to tighten against.

Can anyone identify the shocks, especially the front ones, not sure why there is no springs on the back two? Also what is a good radio case to use on these chassis?

Thanks!

Last edited:
sweet, the shocks are proline powerstroke shocks, very good,very expensive and only available used now and still more expensive than when they was new. There should be 4 large dampers and the 4 large springs, someone has swapped 2 the dampers for the 2 of the springs.
the front is how it should be, maybe they added the extra set on the rear because of the weight. It's recomended that 30wt oil is used.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks! I had no idea, overall the truck was built with good parts, other than the ESC and servo. Also I ordered a proper tranny and am looking at mounts now.

Found a set of carrier bearings blown...I guess its time to change 'em all...

I'd also suggest changing out the aluminum arms for something a bit more forgiving such as RPM arms. The aluminum is pretty but tends to bend and eventually break after straightening.

^^yup, already ordered true track rear and extra set of stockers. I drive my trucks, not into shelf queens.

Found some more fun times, every carrier bearing was shot and a couple broken CVD pins. At this point I decided to tear everything down to make sure it's ok

photo1_zps2175058e.jpg

Another surprise was when I opened the hybrid cases...I was told they were stock diffs, but....

photo2_zpsf7a69a0b.jpg

Cleaned out the grey sludge, slimed the orings and shimmed, sooo smooth

for cvd pins i used roll pins from fleEbay then had to cut the extra length off with the dremel. The hold up with dewalt but don't know about brushless.
Looks like it's gonna be a fun project getting it back up.

Those are the Ofna Spider diffs. They should be six center gears. They are super sweet diffs. That is what I used in my big block Maxx build. Super tough diffs.

Will those diffs work in a Revo without a lot of mods, Joey?

I seriously doubt it. They are 1/8th scale buggy diffs. He probably has the FLM hybrid bulks which allow him to run those diffs. Never see any for a Revo, kinda a shame too.

Oh, well. I guess I could think about how to stuff them into a Revo. =devil

Back