first timer Starter box question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edzykan

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just finished building my hellfire ss I have always had pullstart engines before but in the .28 engine class all the engines i like are bumpstart, and i have never used a starter box before. Will any of them work as long as they say for 1/8 scale? I will leave some links to the ones i found, please give some advice on which ones i would like. Or other boxes that are better.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/ProductGallery.aspx?ProdID=DYN5625
Dynamite Torque-Start Heavy Duty Starter Box

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_52/products_id/9126 Kyosho Multi Starter Box Pro 2.0

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_52/products_id/5429 OFNA 1/10 & 1/8 Chrome Top Starter Box w/12V Motor

You will need one that will do 1/8 off road.

The ofna chrome top is a good choice. The link you posted is for one you need t put together. You can also get one pre-assembled. You will need a 12v gel cell and a charger.

+1 for the Ofna Chrome top. Now you want a starter box with serious ass, throw an HT Batteries LiPo starter box battery in that sucka!

+1 for the Ofna Chrome top. Now you want a starter box with serious ass, throw an HT Batteries LiPo starter box battery in that sucka!

For some reason, the HT Batteries website says that the HT500 Lipo will only fit in the (non chrome top) box... :(

Can't go wrong with the chrome top... I have two of them and they work great!

Tom

It'll fit in any box just about. It's pretty small, it fits in a chrome top just fine, you just use a ty-wrap to hold it in place.

Lipos may be great... but man it just makes me a bit nervous to have such a volatile substance in my posession. Something that needs to be burried in sand and taken outside before it burns your house down. Now I know that any battery can do that, but a lipo seems to be very unstable to me. But.. I detract... sorry about that guys.

Tom

Change is good Tom, lipo issues have been from user error, not faulty product. I've seen more NiMH batteries go up in flames (4) than lipo's (0).

Change is good Tom, lipo issues have been from user error, not faulty product. I've seen more NiMH batteries go up in flames (4) than lipo's (0).

Man... don't tell me that! LOL I have like 8 NiMh packs at home on the bench right now! You know Jet... my problems stem from lack of experience and knowledge on the subject. If I really understood battery technology I would probably have a better outlook and probably be using Lipos. To be completly honest with you, I don't have a clue on how to properly charge my 4200 NiMh batteries I have now. I don't know what voltage cutoff I should set or even what that means for that matter. I have been trying to find exact numbers on how many amps to charge them at, how to discharge them, and how to cycle them. I am also trying to figure out how long between runs I have to wait before I charge them again. I have read the article that FastEddy posted... but even that is not simple enough terms for me. All I can tell you about my batteries are that they are 4200, NiMh, 6 cells unmatched, and they are from Intellect. Other than that I don't know a damn thing. The batteries have no charge info on them at all. I am probably doing more damage to them than helping them. My run times suck, and it is probably because I am not taking proper care of them. Wow... I just looked up and saw I am typing War and Peace! Sorry I am having a rough morning so far, and I am frustrated that I have not found much info on how to charge my batteries... of which I probably have $500 wrapped up in. LOL Sorry guys.

Tom

I'm just razzin' ya Tommy Boy! I was a little skeptical about lipo's at first but I just did some searching around and decided to take the plunge. I'm so glad I did and wished I had done so sooner. I have a quality charger like an ICE or Triton it's kinda hard to screw up charging them. If not, ordering everything from HT including the charger is the way to go. Their charger is completely idiot proof. I run unregulated so the 7.4V lipo on a full charge is actually at 8.2V when it starts out. Ever unregulated and running big servo's I can still easily make an 1 1/2hours run time. Wow, did I derail this thread. Sorry ed!

I'm just razzin' ya Tommy Boy! I was a little skeptical about lipo's at first but I just did some searching around and decided to take the plunge. I'm so glad I did and wished I had done so sooner. I have a quality charger like an ICE or Triton it's kinda hard to screw up charging them. If not, ordering everything from HT including the charger is the way to go. Their charger is completely idiot proof. I run unregulated so the 7.4V lipo on a full charge is actually at 8.2V when it starts out. Ever unregulated and running big servo's I can still easily make an 1 1/2hours run time. Wow, did I derail this thread. Sorry ed!

Actually I think I did. Sorry Ed!! Thanks for the info Jet!

Tom