first time building a LST2 need a bit of advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Well I am expecting a LST2 in the mail. It is basically a box of parts. I am looking to convert it to brushless. I have seen the kits from the dude, and the one from losi. I was wondering if there are others available, as I couldn't find any.

I have a few questions for those who are acquainted with this rig. Since I am building this from the ground up, I was wondering what I should start with, and besides the RPM a-arms, what other upgrades I should get? I plan on runnning a CASTLE CREATIONS MAMBA MONSTER 2200KV COMBO PACKAGE, with a single speed conversion for the tranny. As far as I know the LST2 is stock.

I also have a few more questions. I don't care about whether or not I do wheelies, but i still need a decent amount of torque. What kind of gearing should i look at, and what weight diff oil should i use? For the shocks I was going to use 40wt. I plan on using this for jumping mostly, I like to do speed runs, but I plan to run this on cement or asphalt. I would like to stay away from dirt, grass, etc as much as possible. So for jumping at a skate park, where the landings are not forgiving, what else should i upgrade to keep from replacing parts all the time?

I've read there are some tie rod issues, a-arm issues, and I'm sure many more I missed.

I am trying to get a list together of the things I need to upgrade, before I start building it. This way I don't have to rebuild it over and over.

I appreciate the time taken to read and respond. thanks for any and all help.

I am using Losi's conversion kit on my aftershock, it's an ok kit. the clearance between the motor and the battery tray is very tight and the positioning of the battery tray in the rear gives the truck a high center of gravity and places all the weight at the back. Because of that the truck will wheelie with ease.
Other than rpm arms and a new era roll bar, there isn't any real big upgrades needed for the LST. They are very solid rigs. I too do quite a bit of jumping, if I can remember right, I used 60 weight oil which dampens very well. Don't worry about tie rods, those where eliminated in the rear on the LST2.

I am using Losi's conversion kit on my aftershock, it's an ok kit. the clearance between the motor and the battery tray is very tight and the positioning of the battery tray in the rear gives the truck a high center of gravity and places all the weight at the back. Because of that the truck will wheelie with ease.
Other than rpm arms and a new era roll bar, there isn't any real big upgrades needed for the LST. They are very solid rigs. I too do quite a bit of jumping, if I can remember right, I used 60 weight oil which dampens very well. Don't worry about tie rods, those where eliminated in the rear on the LST2.

Yes i noticed some complaints when it came to the Losi brushless kit, that is why I am thinking of going with the kit by the dude. His reputation is quite good, and it allows for using many different sized pinions, which if I understand, can be a pain with the Losi kit.

Thanks for the pointer on the shock oil weight, I'll add the rollbar to my list.

for the LST2 do you have any recommendations when it comes to picking a good tire for jumping on cement?

thanks,
rob

Sounds like you may want to look into a street tire. Something like these...http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDCW2&P=ML
I mainly run my truck off road, I am using the stock dish wheels that come with the LST2, they work well for me. The roll bar is a must especially when running the Losi conversion kit as it places the battery's and the esc above the shock towers, leaving them vulnerable to impacts.

Back