Finally! version 2.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman1204

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Some of you may remember my first thread titled Finally! where I was so excited that I actually got to bash on my revo for a full hour without breaking anything. That was after almost $400 in hop-up parts and it still breaks almost everytime I run it.

Well this time I Finally! broke something on my savage XL. I have 3 gallons through this truck and was trying to break it so I could have a reason to tear it apart and do some upgrades/maintenance on it.

So what did I break after 3 gallons of extreme bashing that none of my traxxas rigs could ever even dream of doing much less driving away from?

A shock! thats it just one little bitty shock nothing else!

2012-09-10_20-04-22_419.jpg

I actually blew the seal out of it about 1.5 gallons ago but never pulled it off to rebuild it. I dont know exactly when it broke but I did land from about 15ft in the air directly on that front corner. The funny thing is that i ran about a half gallon and never even knew it was broke until I got home.

heres some more pics just to show the amount of dirt and crap that has accumulated over the last 3 gallons :)

2012-09-10_20-04-00_536.jpg

2012-09-10_20-03-52_299.jpg

2012-09-10_20-04-11_800.jpg

While I have it apart anyone have any suggestions for upgrades? I have a motorsaver to put on it but other than that I really dont know what to upgrade and dont say change the 5.9 because I actually think it performs great.

Has anyone warned Rolex about these Savvy pics?

Big bore shocks the shafts are thicker and less prone to breaking. RPM arms not that they are really needed. That's about all I have done to mine. Oh yeah, I replaced the 5.9 with an LRP .32.:D

I would vorza mod the diffs, upgrade your bearings to fast eddy bearings like many here swear by. (just got my first set havent had a chance to put them in or anything yet.) Throw on an ofna throttle mod, If I had a choice on big bores I would buy the LST2 or aftershock set and PM me if you want a link to a how to on that.

Since your going to inspect your tranny anyways might was well do a BP upgrade.

probably needs new breaks. Sway bars are nice.

These are just some of the things on my to do list for my savage as I get the money. Just PM me and I can show you some how to's for most of these I just don't want to post any outside forums in a public post

Last edited:
Good for you! 3 gallons and only a broken shock? I guess they really are a durable rig

Yeah coming from traxxas rigs to this thing is like a totally different world. I only broke the shock because I was trying to break something to see just how far I could push this rig. Had I just kept bashing it like normal I dont know if it would have broken before something finally just wore out like a clutch.

---------- Post added at 9:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:14 PM ----------

I would vorza mod the diffs, upgrade your bearings to fast eddy bearings like many here swear by. (just got my first set havent had a chance to put them in or anything yet.) Throw on an ofna throttle mod, If I had a choice on big bores I would buy the LST2 or aftershock set and PM me if you want a link to a how to on that.

Since your going to inspect your tranny anyways might was well do a BP upgrade.

probably needs new breaks. Sway bars are nice.

These are just some of the things on my to do list for my savage as I get the money. Just PM me and I can show you some how to's for most of these I just don't want to post any outside forums in a public post

I thought the XL already had pretty stout diffs? I am planning on ordering a set of fast eddy bearing and also a screw kit from tonys screws so I can get rid of these stupid phillips head screws. As for shocks I think I am just going to stick with stock. They took a ton of abuse and I can get all 8 on ebay for under $30. I figure they take all of 2 mins to change and I can get 7 spares for cheap. I also just really like the dual shock look.

I will look into the ofna throttle mod and also upgrading the trans and brakes. As for sway bars I dont really care about handling. This truck is literally driven in straight lines as fast as possible in dirt mounds and ramps. I never turn at any kind of speeds.

I'm sorry got mixed up a bit there its not the vorza mod, that is for non HD diffs, my fault.

Last edited:
oh ok thanks bud.....nothing to be sorry about i was just curious.....nice looking truck btw

Rolex is on his way with a can of cow rc cleaner, rags, cotton swabs, and a heart monitor !!! LOL!

Back