Finally broke the XL!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman1204

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I went on camping trip and took my XL and my revo for a good week long bash session. On about the 4th day my XL finally broke for the first time in 6 gallons. The engine was spinning but nothing was coming out of the trans so I just assumed it shelled a gear in the trans.

Brought it home tore down the 3 speed and everything looked perfect! Went through it completely and found nothing but it still wouldnt move.

After about an hour of banging my head on the bench I discovered the pin that holds the rear output cup on the trans had sheared off but the head was still screwed in so I didnt realize it until I pulled the pin out.

So my total breakage for my 6 gallons of savage XL ownership amounts to one stupid little screw for a total cost of $0.00 cause I stole it from a parts car :D

Built Savage Tough

So I went on camping trip and took my XL and my revo for a good week long bash session. On about the 4th day my XL finally broke for the first time in 6 gallons. The engine was spinning but nothing was coming out of the trans so I just assumed it shelled a gear in the trans.

Brought it home tore down the 3 speed and everything looked perfect! Went through it completely and found nothing but it still wouldnt move.

After about an hour of banging my head on the bench I discovered the pin that holds the rear output cup on the trans had sheared off but the head was still screwed in so I didnt realize it until I pulled the pin out.

So my total breakage for my 6 gallons of savage XL ownership amounts to one stupid little screw for a total cost of $0.00 cause I stole it from a parts car :D

Hi,
I love a good strong hpi Savage testimonial like that!!

Chas

I'm going on my 3rd gallon and still havent broken anything as well.. The only problem I've ever had was the starter one way bearing for some reason cracking completely in half... haha just one more reason for me to get a pull start. But i told HPI about it and they sent me a bran new one a week later.

I was a hardcore traxxas guy until i bought my savage, just still some times am surprised... Usually with other nitro vehicles or any rc car for that matter that I've owned in my life time have limited me from having a ton of fun. I would have to just not go all out off jumps or really having much fun at all..... With the savage now I'm able to just do crazy things i never would attempt on other vehicles.. I love this truck !

Mirror my thoughts

I'm going on my 3rd gallon and still havent broken anything as well.. The only problem I've ever had was the starter one way bearing for some reason cracking completely in half... haha just one more reason for me to get a pull start. But i told HPI about it and they sent me a bran new one a week later.

I was a hardcore traxxas guy until i bought my savage, just still some times am surprised... Usually with other nitro vehicles or any rc car for that matter that I've owned in my life time have limited me from having a ton of fun. I would have to just not go all out off jumps or really having much fun at all..... With the savage now I'm able to just do crazy things i never would attempt on other vehicles.. I love this truck !

Hi TRXaddict,
Well Sir, you could have taken the words right out of my mouth.
Ah, but I'm sure I couldn't have said it any better.

I too love my Savage X, and feel lucky to have picked a model that so far, has given me nothing but plenty of fun, more happiness, thrills, spills and more fun!!

Savage X baby,,,!!

Chas

Last edited:
Back