Fiberglassing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuppy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Who has experience with fiberglassing over ABS plastic? I need your advice before I start this project please. I'm a little nervous about melting the original hull on my graupner systems boat as it is extremely fragile. Should I reinforce it somehow first? Is just using epoxy resin enough? Is there a special resin/hardener you would recomend? would I be better making some kind of mold instead?

Last edited:
for patching inside the hull use plastic epoxy and put small strips of fiberglass imbedded in it. sand lightly to buff any area that will be in contact with the epoxy and press down firmly with a putty knife. for small chip just apply and resand

20200221_155459.jpg

This is inside of my Spartan where the transom had developed some cracks

I was going to fiberglass the outside because the inside is pretty rough and I can't really get it cleaned up very easily. Maybe I could do a little bit of fiber glass on the inside first just to strengthen it? I don't want to add too much weight to it though

I had planned on draping 2.5 g Woven fiberglass over the top and using an epoxy resin to keep the heat down

Here is what it looks like...

Attachments

• 20200214_145745.jpg
    20200214_145745.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 97
The existing hull looks to be extremely fragile and damaged. You're in for some work. I would suggest you repair and reinforce what's in major need on the inside and then do a complete covering with the woven cloth on the outside. Even epoxy will develop heat as it cures. Just make sure that you make it as smooth as possible on the outside to avoid as much sanding as possible. To smooth out whatever texture is still there you can do another skim coat after the fabric coat has cured.

True... I was actually thinking about making a mold out of what I've got. Gel coat on first then building it with fiberglass.Once the mold is made I can make a perfect replica without issue but yeah you are right about reinforcing the inside first. I'm not so much worried about the balsa as I still have the original plans with the template of each piece. I was actually just thinking about chopping it put of the way then building my own supports for the interior. Maybe I'll do the mold first then try to save the old hull for sentimental reasons

Z-poxy finishing resin works the best for any fiberglass boat small repairs.

Back