FG Marder Won’t Start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I am getting back into the hobby after about a 10 year break. I have a Marder which has had very little use and was working ok when I last used it. I have renewed the fuel lines and fitted a new spark plug, used new Texaco super unleaded and new Castrol 2 stroke oil mixed 25:1 but it won’t start. There is fuel in the engine and the plug is sparking but when I turn the engine over with the pullstart it doesn’t seem to be firing. Is there anything I need to check?

Hi, I am getting back into the hobby after about a 10 year break. I have a Marder which has had very little use and was working ok when I last used it. I have renewed the fuel lines and fitted a new spark plug, used new Texaco super unleaded and new Castrol 2 stroke oil mixed 25:1 but it won’t start. There is fuel in the engine and the plug is sparking but when I turn the engine over with the pullstart it doesn’t seem to be firing. Is there anything I need to check?

There is many reasons!
Flooded
Tank is not venting proper ,as in vapor lock ,try cracking the fuel cap open!
An air leak at the carb insulator ,gaskets could be bad or insulator warped ,some people go with an aluminum
for that reason ,because there is a pulse hole that sends pressure to the carbs diaphram to pump the fuel!
The diaphrams ,are dried up in the carb. ,once dried or hardened ,they wont seal or wont pump gas.

Oh right, thanks for the info. A lot more to it than I thought. I’ll check it’s not flooded first and then crack the fuel cap open and hope that sorts it

Oh right, thanks for the info. A lot more to it than I thought. I’ll check it’s not flooded first and then crack the fuel cap open and hope that sorts it

The diaphram in the carb ,if they are dried up ,that will also cause flooding ,one diaphram has little
flappers on it that opens an close little channels off in the carb ,if they harden ,they seal off an cause
flooding ,the other diaphram is the pulse pump that opens the fuel inlet needle to allow fuel flow
into the carb from the fuel tank ,if that hardens ,it will either allow fuel to flow straight through or
close fuel supply off!..So ,you may need a carb kit ,easy to install!..:thumbs-up:

This is common to happen when they sit for a long period of time!..:cool:

Ok, thanks, that’s really helpful. I’ll try the first 2 options tomorrow and if they don’t work I‘ll look for a carb kit

Ok, thanks, that’s really helpful. I’ll try the first 2 options tomorrow and if they don’t work I‘ll look for a carb kit

I can show you pics of the diaphams that go bad an what they look like ,also ,carbs do have a screen inside
an can clog up if stuff gets pass the tank filter!..:cool: