Favourite Nitro Fuel? Revo 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spookybrittany

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
What's everyone's favourite nitro fuel? I gotta stock up for my Revo 3.3 and I've heard that the Traxxas Top Fuel is trash.

My hobby shop has a bunch of Sidewinder fuel, I'm wondering the difference between the Backyard Basher fuel and the Racing fuel? They have the same percentages of fuel/oil ratios. I'm assuming the Racing fuel is just richer than the Backyard Basher.

My Revo was having major hissy fits, and found out it was mostly from very old "expired" fuel... once I tried some of my neighbors brand new fuel, it ran like a champ... So I guess my other question is, what kind of shelf life does nitro fuel have?

Thanks for the help again, guys!

here's my savage and my revo for show.
20220509_131130.jpg

Sidewinder 20/12 is excellent, never had issues, cars run great.

I also have 7 gallons of Byron's (found it cheap and purchased the whole store stock) which is 20/16.
Also never gave me any issues, runs great.

Now, everyone says Top Fuel is crap because of its high oil content, and nobody ever mentioned Byron's which is also has high oil percentage, why is that?
Personally never tried Traxxas Top Fuel.

Odonnell's and Bones Brew are pretty heavy favorites around here. Odonnell is my main go to. That being said I dont think I've ran a nitro in quite awhile.

Sidewinder Race blend is fine too. The Race blend is 12% oil and the Backyard basher is 16% oil

Sidewinder 20/12 is excellent, never had issues, cars run great.

I also have 7 gallons of Byron's (found it cheap and purchased the whole store stock) which is 20/16.
Also never gave me any issues, runs great.

Now, everyone says Top Fuel is crap because of its high oil content, and nobody ever mentioned Byron's which is also has high oil percentage, why is that?
I use to run trx33% in the .15 it would run cool. Switching to odonells 20% I had oil pouring out tbe exhuast. Been itching to try bones brew.

Byrons, just like Sidewinder, has 2 different formulas. They have a 12% oil and a 16% oil blends. The 12% is good, the 16% is not imo

Bryons is out of business I believe these days though

Capture.JPG

Byrons, just like Sidewinder, has 2 different formulas. They have a 12% oil and a 16% oil blends. The 12% is good, the 16% is not imo

View attachment 151946
Why do you think that Byrons 16 is not so good?

Tbh, I havent used it in a while, as I am still going trough the sidewinder I got with all the car bundles I purchased, but will be going back to it once that is finished.
I remember it ran just as good as sidewinder 12.
Plus, to go trough 7 gallons its gonna take me years.... :)

I just prefer nitro fuel with between 8-12% oil. I normally use Odonnell's which is only 8% oil so even 12 to me is a bit on the high side compared to what I'm used to but I definitely dont like anything more than 12%. You can run it just like you can run Traxxas's Top Fuel but I dont personally care for it.

More oil changes the viscosity of the fuel and makes it a bit harder to tune, can make it run hotter, Can make it more sluggish, and it doesn't clear out as well as fuel with less oil.

I just prefer nitro fuel with between 8-12% oil. I normally use Odonnell's which is only 8% oil so even 12 to me is a bit on the high side compared to what I'm used to but I definitely dont like anything more than 12%. You can run it just like you can run Traxxas's Top Fuel but I dont personally care for it.

More oil changes the viscosity of the fuel and makes it a bit harder to tune, can make it run hotter, Can make it more sluggish, and it doesn't clear out as well as fuel with less oil.
Fair enough...

I also cannot tell the difference between 16% and 20% nitro.
I have both I am using at the moment, runs the same to me....

Fair enough...

I also cannot tell the difference between 16% and 20% nitro.
I have both I am using at the moment, runs the same to me....
4% isnt going to make a huge difference but if you went from 8% to 20% the difference would be night and day. Again you can run 20+% oil or even 16% its just not my thing and I know most of the other nitro guys on here dont care for anything with more than 12% either. If you already got 7 gallons of it though, I wouldnt let that stop me from running it :)

I'm wondering the difference between the Backyard Basher fuel and the Racing fuel? They have the same percentages of fuel/oil ratios.

If you scroll down on https://morganfuel.com/, to "Product information", "Product analysis" is a breakdown of every blend they mix.

The part you're interested in:
Onroad = 8% oil, available in 16-20% nitro
Offroad = 9% oil, available as 20-30% nitro
Raceblend = 12% oil, available in 16-40% nitro
Backyard basher = 16% oil 20% nitro.

All are a synthetic-castor blend.

I've mixed backyard basher and their offroad blend to approximate the raceblend when it wasn't available, and have great results. Backyard basher tuned kind of "wet" for me, and was harder to start than the others.

I've also tried torco's 30% nitro / 10% all-synthetic oil, and liked the exhaust smell more, and noticed that it left less oil in the pipe at the end of the day. I think I'll be running 20/12 with castor oil in my .12-.15 engines, and 30/10 in my >.18's

Sidewinder is probably the most expensive one out there; I've heard really good things about bones brew and they have some of the best prices, but havn't tried them yet.

Last edited:

View attachment 151946
So the 3.3 would probably do better on the race fuel rather than the Basher one hey? It ran really good on Top Fuel 33% but it was super super rich.
I find that there isn't too many options in Canada? I'm local to Edmonton Alberta and I can usually only find Traxxas, Sidewinder or Omega. Used to be able to get Blue Thunder, but can't find it now.

Never seen or heard of Odonnells, or Bones Brew
-- Also, sorry if this is a really silly question but could you mix different brands of fuel if the percentage is the same?

Last edited: