FAO Engine Guru's. Picco .26 Max

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CupraR

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi

I currently run a Picco .26 Max. I've run approximately 2.5 gallon through it maybe more.

My problem is, my EZ Start won't turn it over enough to start it. It kind of spins over then suddenly stops at TDC.

So, I stripped it to check it out. I found a collapsed front bearing which had only just been fitted (Boca are sending out a replacement) so I reinstalled old std bearing (nothing really wrong with it). Still the same, the engine is difficult to turn over via fingers on the flywheel. Like a very good compression feeling but I can see (I think) why the EZ Start doesn't turn it enough, it takes some force with fingers. it spins over nicely with EZ Start with Glow Plug removed.

I'm a little perplexed to be honest everything appears fine except my compression has gone up lol.

I bet I'd struggle for it to turn with enough momentum with a pull start.

I wondered if any engine gurus maybe able to offer any advice.

The ez start has a hard time with my buddy's picco as well. What battery are you using? We went to a 5000mah Tenergy and it helped quite a bit. The ez start motor will wear prematurely though.

The ez start has a hard time with my buddy's picco as well. What battery are you using? We went to a 5000mah Tenergy and it helped quite a bit. The ez start motor will wear prematurely though.

I'm currently using a 5300Mah Voltz battery, I did get a spare EZ Start full assembly from an eBay chop shop which is new. That has the same result too though unfortunately.

I did notice my OWB had slipped a little in the plastic housing which increased the housings diameter. This made it difficult to turn it over due to rubbing. I rectified that though and still the same outcome.

You may just have to preheat it everytime. Cracking the glow plug loose while starting helps as well.

You may just have to preheat it everytime. Cracking the glow plug loose while starting helps as well.

I'll try anything to get it running again Matt.

Preheating whilst out could get a little tricky lol.

I'll try anything to get it running again Matt.

Preheating whilst out could get a little tricky lol.

a propane torch or a small butane torch will work when your out ..I've done it before ..you just have to be careful with the flame

Did you replace the inner bearing also? I'm curious as to why you had replaced the bearings in the first place.

After 2.5 gallons... you should be good to go! your engine is in its prime, it shouldnt be ness to preheat. could it be hydrolocking?

a propane torch or a small butane torch will work when your out ..I've done it before ..you just have to be careful with the flame

Yeah, I suppose I could do this. Thanks.
Did you replace the inner bearing also? I'm curious as to why you had replaced the bearings in the first place.

After 2.5 gallons... you should be good to go! your engine is in its prime, it shouldnt be ness to preheat. could it be hydrolocking?

Yes, I also did the inner bearing too. On advice from Ofna I was changing my conrod due to play in the bottom bushing ( although quite new, this engine is secondhand to me). I thought whilst engine is stripped I'd put a pr of Boca bearings in to hopefully never worry again about bearings.

It's not hydro locking as I've got the engine off at the moment, no fuel line connected just trying it with EZ Start hooked up.

Back