Fantom FR 15 engine help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the13bats

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm old school, and been taking a break from large scale to putz with a couple 10 builds I've planned for about 30 years,

One is based on an rc10 and outlaw vette body,

Its a hybrid nitro powered oval track car

My donor rc10gt for the project ( 25.00 CL find years ago ) had a fantom .15 engine froze up but i tore it down and it freed up easy and has good compression,

The carb was still stuck so i go online to find a diagram of it as i can't recall every carb in my old mind,

I dont find diagrams and find very little on this engine, in fact only a couple are on ebay at high prices, and a few forum posts that seem to rate it mediocre.

So, is this an old engine no longer made with no parts available that is basically junk?

Thanks all,
Cheers
b

I believe so. I had a couple Fantom pipes for my revo's back in the day. Still have one in a drawer that goes unused. I haven't seen a fantom engine around for many years. Even OS has dropped a few of their "go to" rtr engines like the 15 cv-r, 18 cv-r and 21RG. Looking at their site, they discontinued even the 21TM.

The last time I looked at the fantom engines, I had a t-maxx and was trying to find a 18 side exhaust engine for it. Fantom, Epic and Orion all had one. OS came out with the cv-r 18 a while later. Now none of them exist. :(

Thanks,
When i bought the doner i did so with the engine froze and figured it was junk,
I'm guessing i can make it run but with your conformation its a relic it wont be front burner,

I have a lot of nitro cars buggies and engines but they are all older, vintage
I might have an hpi or two, but still at least a decade old

So this project is likely never gonna see competition just me fun running not bashing,
Its running stock rc10gt trans but smaller diameter rear wheels than the truck,

What more common, modern engine would you suggest?

Thanks
cheers
b

even in 2012 you will see NO PARTS... so id say its a paper weight....

its based off "Go Engine", they are decent little engines, not the best, but definitely better than RTR. for some reason they never really "caught on" like LRP and O.S. did, as far as the carb, mostly all carbs of the same style are very similar.
I've had one Fantom FR15, do regret selling it, but i got something else i needed out of it, and have helped a few others rebuild theirs. just takes lots of pictures and go slowly, dont force anything

What more common, modern engine would you suggest?
To be honest, I don't know. I got into running electric 4 years ago and even then the mid-range engines were drying up. If I were to buy one now, it would likely just be an LRP or Dynamite. Something familiar that still exists. I've had good luck with both brands over the years. I typically go for a pull-start engine, so that usually limits things even more.

Not seeing much at the main sites, amain, horizon, tower. Found a couple cheap Force engines:
http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=1103_28&products_id=98532
http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=1103_28&products_id=98533

See a few others at rcplanet:
https://www.rcplanet.com/engines/engines-car-truck/?sort=priceasc

SH engines aren't horrible. I only have had 2 HPI engines and both of them were well abused/worn when I go them, so I don't know how they hold up but there's a couple small block hpi's on that list too.

To be honest, I don't know. I got into running electric 4 years ago and even then the mid-range engines were drying up. If I were to buy one now, it would likely just be an LRP or Dynamite. Something familiar that still exists. I've had good luck with both brands over the years. I typically go for a pull-start engine, so that usually limits things even more.

Not seeing much at the main sites, amain, horizon, tower. Found a couple cheap Force engines:
http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=1103_28&products_id=98532
http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=1103_28&products_id=98533

See a few others at rcplanet:
https://www.rcplanet.com/engines/engines-car-truck/?sort=priceasc

SH engines aren't horrible. I only have had 2 HPI engines and both of them were well abused/worn when I go them, so I don't know how they hold up but there's a couple small block hpi's on that list too.

I have that Force 18 engine ,It is descent engine ,however ,not sure if they are being produced anymore ,that might be old stock!...?

Thanks all!

Are os cz gone bye bye too?

Bitd guys were going from electric to nitro, now everyone wants the modern brushless electrics,
They are mean but I'm an old school gear head grease rat, my person car is from 69 with a 454,

I have some electric, i like my rc10ds electric, but its nothing to me compared to my ds nitro, i dig the smells, noise, even the mess only nitro or on my big scale gas does it for me,

I'm guessing nitro will phase to the point of just a few old die hard fans like me clinging to it.

Cheers
b

Thanks all!

Are os cz gone bye bye too?

Bitd guys were going from electric to nitro, now everyone wants the modern brushless electrics,
They are mean but I'm an old school gear head grease rat, my person car is from 69 with a 454,

I have some electric, i like my rc10ds electric, but its nothing to me compared to my ds nitro, i dig the smells, noise, even the mess only nitro or on my big scale gas does it for me,

I'm guessing nitro will phase to the point of just a few old die hard fans like me clinging to it.

Cheers
b

I am not quite sure about what OS is or not producing ,however ,I do have the OS cvr 18 in my RC10 ,it is old but still opens up
to a can of whoopin!...:cool:

Here is my personal vehicle!....:cool:

Well cbaker she sure is sweet!

My poor old full size car is in worse project state than my toys,
What started as a frame off, aftermarket suspension road racer theme build took a dive to stagnationville when covid took out both my wifes and my professions,
I only do labor ( free ) work to her at the moment, thankfully i do have most parts in the batscave,

Which i was down in eariler, i have a few OS engines so ill just pirate one of them,
I'm liking the nitro rc10 buggy build so much i do believe ill go nitro on the rally car ( 58 vette body ) build too,

Here is the 69
20180301_182840_copy_1538x727.jpg

An no, I'm a gear head who likes vettes not a T.A.C.O.