Factory Settings!

• Thread starter SpontaniousCombustion
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpontaniousCombustion

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon/morning.

Finally decided to get my Nitro RC out again and have some fun now it's getting brighter out! I haven't ran it for about... 4-5 years.

I know it still need breaking in as it's only done two tanks of fuel from new. I was thinking a good place to start would be to set the carb back to its factory settings, so usually you'd check the manual right?

There is a manual for the car itself and also a manual for the engine. They both say different things. One manual states the complete opposite from the other.

Which manual do I follow, the one for the car or the manual for the engine?

I have attached both manuals to try explain what I'm talking about.

All the best!
Sorry, the other manual didn't upload. It's not the correct extension type. I have just added a screenshot of both manuals instead

Attachments

• HB_Engine_settings_MacStar_28.pdf
    360.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20220223-104445.png
    Screenshot_20220223-104445.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20220223-104404.png
    Screenshot_20220223-104404.png
    802.8 KB · Views: 42
Okay, will do! Why would there be two manuals for the same engine with different settings.. I can't work it out.

Not sure, but looks like it's just the HSN that differs (4.5 vs 3.5 turns out). You'll know pretty quick which one of those is correct though. It should be spitting a bit of fuel and a decent amount of smoke at idle during the break-in. If it's not, at 3.5, go with 4.5.

Not sure, but looks like it's just the HSN that differs (4.5 vs 3.5 turns out). You'll know pretty quick which one of those is correct though. It should be spitting a bit of fuel and a decent amount of smoke at idle during the break-in. If it's not, at 3.5, go with 4.5.
Awesome thank you very much! As if things weren't confusing enough! Excited to get the little car going again. Should be good fun!

Last time I used it the head was smoking a bit due to being too lean.. I hope it's not damaged the engine!

Awesome thank you very much! As if things weren't confusing enough! Excited to get the little car going again. Should be good fun!

Last time I used it the head was smoking a bit due to being too lean.. I hope it's not damaged the engine!

As long as you still have decent compression it's probably fine.

As long as you still have decent compression it's probably fine.
I've just checked the engine for compression and it seems to have a strong one thankfully.

I'm just setting the needles back to factory but I'm struggling to understand this last one, I think it's the way it's worded. Could you explain please?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-195213~2.png
    Screenshot_20220223-195213~2.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 29
whats up bud. what is this engine in? buggie truggy MT? the instructions seem all messed up. so you say you already ran it? So why do you need to break it in? and with the two different settings there might be two different versions of that model. that has different engines
I would go with 4 turns out from closed on the HSN. Then lean it out from there. Do you have a temp gun. To make sure your temp are with in range.. the smoke head could be a couple different things. Not that you leaned it out

Last edited:
I'd just go with Ofna settings. Get the LSN flush, and the HSN 3.5 turns out. If it's not spitting fuel a little at idle, go ahead and bump it a little more open until it does until the break in is done.

I'd just go with Ofna settings. Get the LSN flush, and the HSN 3.5 turns out. If it's not spitting fuel a little at idle, go ahead and bump it a little more open until it does until the break in is done.
That's why I said start at 4 turns out. It should be a big block. At .28 so starting at 3.5 might not be enough. 4 won't hurt it to start. The LSN should be flush with the carb arm attached to you throttle servo
I've just checked the engine for compression and it seems to have a strong one thankfully.

I'm just setting the needles back to factory but I'm struggling to understand this last one, I think it's the way it's worded. Could you explain please?
What type of fuel you using. Has it been sitting around as long as the rc?? Curious

whats up bud. what is this engine in? buggie truggy MT? the instructions seem all messed up. so you say you already ran it? So why do you need to break it in? and with the two different settings there might be two different versions of that model. that has different engines
I would go with 4 turns out from closed on the HSN. Then lean it out from there. Do you have a temp gun. To make sure your temp are with in range.. the smoke head could be a couple different things. Not that you leaned it out
The engine is in a Hoboa RTR Truggy Cage. I need to break it in still because it's only done 2 tanks of fuel I think and I'm sure the manual stated I needed to do more to fully break the engine in.

I didn't have a heat gun but have got one recently so this Saturday hopefully I'm going to have a day out with it.

I'm getting some new fuel as the previous stuff I had is no good so I thought it would be best to get some new.

You say the LSN has to be flush with the carb arm. Just the manual states this is tricky and can cause damage if not done carefully. Am I best to just screw it flush and hope for the best? I don't want to break it.

The engine is in a Hoboa RTR Truggy Cage. I need to break it in still because it's only done 2 tanks of fuel I think and I'm sure the manual stated I needed to do more to fully break the engine in.

I didn't have a heat gun but have got one recently so this Saturday hopefully I'm going to have a day out with it.

I'm getting some new fuel as the previous stuff I had is no good so I thought it would be best to get some new.

You say the LSN has to be flush with the carb arm. Just the manual states this is tricky and can cause damage if not done carefully. Am I best to just screw it flush and hope for the best? I don't want to break it.
Well to be honest. When you do a break-in on a new engine your NOT supposed to stop after two tanks. The engine needs to sit around 200° 220°. Over the five tanks so that the piston and sleeve mold to each other correctly and create the pinch.. So it just might be messed up already. So when you stopped after two tanks did you leave the piston at BDC ( Bottom Dead Center). Basically at the very bottom of the pistons stroke? And the low speed needle isn't that delicate. Or a needle that gets played/adjusted often or much at all..
Should get new plugs as well

Well to be honest. When you do a break-in on a new engine your NOT supposed to stop after two tanks. The engine needs to sit around 200° 220°. Over the five tanks so that the piston and sleeve mold to each other correctly and create the pinch.. So it just might be messed up already. So when you stopped after two tanks did you leave the piston at BDC ( Bottom Dead Center). Basically at the very bottom of the pistons stroke? And the low speed needle isn't that delicate. Or a needle that gets played/adjusted often or much at all..
Should get new plugs as well
Well that doesn't sound good does it. Umm, I have a feeling I did set the piston to that before I put it away but I'm not 100% sure. New piston and sleeve kit need to be looked at then just incase.

Okay awesome, I think I've set them back to factory settings now and am ready to go on Saturday. I was going to get a few B4/B5 plugs sorted too. At least if everything is new and I have problems I can work back from there.

Usually when an engine stops it naturally stops at BDC, but it's always best to double check. You're probably ok. As for the needles, it's hard to break them unless you forcefully screwed them down too tight.

Usually when an engine stops it naturally stops at BDC, but it's always best to double check. You're probably ok. As for the needles, it's hard to break them unless you forcefully screwed them down too tight.
Managed to get the engine running yesterday for a little while before the dog needed attending too. 😂

The engine was struggling to start in the beginning, was I right I thinking I'm to adjust the LSN to encourage the car to start?

The idle gap is fine as it's idlling just fine I believe. The HSN is set to factory setting still.

Yup, if it's too lean, it'll starve and won't start. Conversely, too rich, it will struggle as well to get going.
Awesome! Seems to be going better than the last time I tried running the car... Until I snapped my pull start. 😟😂