Facebook Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff7373

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I do not nor will I ever have a facebook account but my wife does and she uses it from her phone mostly. We both have our own smartphones and our own separate laptops so no logging in on the same devices. The problem I am running into now is what ever I search for from either my work laptop or personal one shows up on her facebook thingy. The only thing we share is WIFI and luckily I haven't been looking up anything really weird just fish stuff and motorcycle stuff, but she was asking me about some pipes I was looking at the other day that showed up on her facebook. Can anybody tell me how to stop this? We do both use Chrome with separate names.

I don't have the answer but I will say for sure, I agree with you. I shut down my account over a year ago and don't miss it a bit! It's an amazing tool for mind control and full invasion of privacy!
Actually, I was gonna start posting where I was going this weekend, what I did tonight, pics of my girlfriend in her Halloween costume from when she was 8 and a few other things in this forum... Seriously, does anyone care? :hehe:

I am a Facebook user and love it. It can be an awesome place to follow your favorite business's and stay up to date on lots of cool stuff. Super easy to "unfollow" people so you don't have to see their drama. I get to see so much more mx/sx stuff that isn't posted anywhere else, thats worth it to me.
As for her seeing what you have looked at, I don't know what you mean. Is it showing ads for items like the pipes you looked at? Or?

Yep I was on revzilla the other day looking at pipes for the bike not for me beyond that stage in my life now. A couple of days later they showed up on her facebook feed so she was asking me about them and come to find out anything I have searched for that is for sale starts showing up as an ad on her facebook page. She new I was looking at aquariums before I told her luckily I don't search for anything for sale that would lead to embarrassing situations but of course now I am tempted to just for kicks and giggles. If I search on amazon they put an add on her facebook feed to, it's kind of annoying.

I'm willing to bet it's based on your IP address.

How do I keep that from being used to show my wife ads based on my for sale searches, do I need to set up a VPN? My router says I can do it but not sure on that.

It's an amazing tool for mind control and full invasion of privacy!
MAJOR invasion of privacy. They track it all.
I'm guessing there's a selection to "Link across all devices" so everything at that IP gets connected making them even MORE invasive of your privacy.

So how do I unlink all devices do I need to log into here facebook account?

I don't know if that can really be done. I have MAJOR issues with all the tracking and as @Rolex pointed out, a straight up invasion of privacy. There are groups who are fighting Google, Facebook and a few other major companies who do this. They believe that the user (us sheep) use their systems, product or whatever your like to call it, free of charge and because we do, we agree to them systematically destroying all privacy. If you don't think there is a file somewhere with ALL your info stored, you are sadly mistaken. This post is being stored there too! Along with where I went this morn, how much gas I put in the tank and everything the microphone and cam recorded. Big brother has officially moved in and he's hiding in your closet, under your bed, in your fridge and in the glove box of your car. Yes, this all sounds like paranoia, but it is all based on factual information. Sadness for all!
I don't think you're going to be able to shut this issue off by changing some preference settings.

I, like you guys, have been experiencing the same thing. I look up swimming pools on my phone and later in the evening when I get on my PC, there are adds that pop up showing the same pools that I looked at on my phone. I do not know how to separate the devices but I think I have this figured out how to stop this. I run an Android phone and I use Chrome and Firefox as browsers. What I'm going to start doing is before I start shopping (or looking at something I don't want tracked) I will go to the menu of the browser and select "private browsing" or "open new incognito window". That way it does not save cookies or history and should eliminate this transfer of information between my devices.

do I need to set up a VPN?

No in this case a VPN isn't going to do you any good but simply change your IP address. Facebook will still see it. Regardless if you like Facebook or not - Facebook is a huge privacy invasion. They have their reach in almost all websites, not just facebook.com

Private browsing is your friend

@griff7373 If you want to keep things separate then doing exactly what Robmob suggests is going to be your best bet if you shared devices, but in this case you don't. If I recall there are some advertising options within Facebook that you can use to curtail some of these ads, but that doesn't stop them from tracking you.

In pursuit of this, and trying to eliminate my ad tracking, I spent some time in my android and they google, I was lead to a site...
Digital Advertising Alliance.
There I was asked if I would like to opt out of ad tracking by a large number of participating members. I recommend you spend a few minutes to check it out and see what you think.

The digital advertising alliance link in the link I posted above seemed to help a lot, I no longer see the adds on my laptop. Seems like my wifes is stuck on the aquarium stuff she hasn't asked about the backpacks I was looking at yet, so maybe that helped the issue. I will get her phone this evening and set it up like mine. I don't mind her seeing my searches but what if I was looking at something for her I like to surprise her periodically.

It says that this should be done often to keep up with the clean sweep. Glad it worked out for you! It seems to have helped me out as well.

This is probably to do with google adsense and some sort of facebook link. Or your ISP. Google adsense suggests adverts dependent on what you look at, for example if you search for a book on amazon, then you will get recommendations for that book on other ad sense enabled sites. You can regenerate your unique Adsense ID through your google account settings, if you want. To be honest, recent laws that have been passed in both your country and in the UK are slowly eroding away at our privacy, so I refrain from posting any information about me online. However, governments most likely know everything about you as it is already, and probably have the technology to track everything you do, however I'm sure @Rolex is pretty safe from all this, since the last few government agents that tried to investigate him aren't quite with us anymore...

Yes, sadly, although I'm sure that my life and my adventures are so very intriguing that with a little effort and the right actors, my life would make at LEAST a 10 year, #1 tv network series... I haven't released the rights to the powers that be. With that in mind, the ridiculously huge files and folders and CRAP that the government has compiled from a Facebook account that will NEVER be reactivated (by me anyways) as well as my seaches and the other things I did while I naively thought that any tiny portion of privacy would be honored will just sit collecting dust. Somewhere, there is some OBSCENELY overpaid ANALyst who is going to look at all this crap and think that they have some 'upper hand' and they will 'catch me in the act' of helping someone get their nitro engine running and OH BOY will there be a HUGE promotion involved!!! The level of invasion that our government has lowered itself to is so far beyond 'big brother', I just can't find the words... At this point, all I can recommend is that whatever you do, try to pay cash, barter, whatever you can in order to keep yourself off the grid! If they are going to work this hard for my info and are going to keep files on me etc without anything resembling consent, I am going to work as hard to make it impossible for them to track my info. without a lot of extra effort. When it's all said and done, my info will be next to useless for them anyways! If I had my youth, my health and the knowledge of today... I would move to nowhere in some island or way up north and just let the world disintegrate around me. But instead, I am gonna keep working on this revo trans and see if I can piss off the neighbors instead! :hehe:

Back