EZ Starter Dead?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin2048

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey everyone. i went to start up my T Maxx this morning and my engine wouldnt turn. i noticed on my ez starter that none of the lights were coming on when i pressed the button. i am 100% positive that the batteries i used were fully charged. i can't figure out whats wrong with it. any ideas?

The first thing you do is put a full charge on the battery, then try it again. These units have been known to have a board problem that stops giving power to the glow plug, but it's rare for both to go at once.

i did that. both batteries i have are fully charged. and I'm using a glow starter to heat the glow plug. and the motor light doesn't light even when the starter isnt plugged into the wiring harness. usually the motor light lights up wen i do that

While holding the start button, wiggle the connection to the truck to see if you are getting a blink. If you are, you can replace the harness with a new one.
Since you are using a glow ignitor, the yellow ground wire doesn't matter, but check the black and red wires to the motor. It's also possible that you have dirt in the motor making the brushes stick, and they are unable to contact the commutator. It might just need to be blown out.

i tried all that and still nothing. maybe i should just get a pull starter

Use a voltmeter and check for voltage at your battery and at the motor while pressing the button.

ill go try that now

ok. i took my battery. it was hot off the charger. i took the volt meter and connected red to red and black to black and got 7.2 volts. i did the same with my other battery which isnt all the way charged and it read 6.9 volts. i put the full battery in the starter, i took the cover thing off so i could see which one was black and red. i plugged the pins of the meter in the starter, red to red and black to black, i pressed the button and nothing. i tried with the other battery and nothing either

Then its the EZstart itself or the harness. Probably the EZstart.

i dont think its the harness. its fairly new. i think I'm gonna get a pull start. what are your guys opinions about pull starts? to me they seem easier. no batteries, no big starter to carry around. it just seems better but i could be wrong

If your rig likes to start then a pull starter would be fine. The EZ starter keeps you from having to pull the cord a billion times when you rig doesn't wanna start.

yea, I'm gonna go with a pull starter then. my truck is never too hard to start

on the ez- start system the one way bearing ( overunning clutch), drives the crank directly. the one way bearing has flat spots opp each other. goes into a gear that has flat spots inside. the one i have spun inside the gear, causeing the part of the gear that goes into an opening to expand and jam the gear train. the ez-start gear train isnt hard to take apart. just get a new gear, punch out the one way clutch and put it in the new gear. also the one way clutch has text on one end be sure it goes back the way it came out. iam doing mine right now.