Explanation of tire sizes a hex sizes needed!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squanchy26

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys I'm new here. Did some searching and couldn't find what I needed. I'm trying to find out about hex sizes and how they are figured. Is it the size of the nut on thou outside of the axle? Also the guys at rcplanet told me these tires would fit my buggy's wheels. http://www.rcplanet.com/Proline_Tires_Dirt_Hawg_p/pro107100.htm

I'm not sure it says 2.2" inside diameter for the tires but the wheels are larger then that on my buggy. There are alot of aftermarket parts on my new to me rc. If someone could explain this like I'm a 2 year old it would be great. Do I need to stay at the same outside diameter to keep ratio the same? Basically I want to get a set of streets and paddles for sand, but have rims glued for each dont want to have to interchange. Any information is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Give us the make and model and you will get a ton of advise!

When you remove the tire there is a hex on the axle shaft that fits into the hex inside of the wheel, that hex is measured in mm and that is the hex size used

Give us the make and model and you will get a ton of advise!

Its a kyosho have no idea of model. Original motor replaced with an xtm according to hobby shop. Maybe inferno. I have uploaded pictures of it. One is my avatar.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

When you remove the tire there is a hex on the axle shaft that fits into the hex inside of the wheel, that hex is measured in mm and that is the hex size used

Can I simply fit a mm wrench on it to find what it is?

Your buggy probably uses a 17mm hex and yes a 17mm wrench/socket should fit it. If it is 17mm search for 1/8 buggy tires and wheels.

Here's an example of how the rim measurements work.
The outside rim diameter measures 3.97". This measurement is rounded off to 4.0
so this rim is listed and sold as a 4.0 Velocity VTR rim.
2800-02-2.jpg

The 2.2 diameter rim size you mention is common with the 1/10 scale stadium trucks and
1/10 scale buggies.

Last edited:
Thank you much guys. Lastly if I put a set on that ends up being a little bigger or smaller will it throw it all out of whack? I know it would change the ratio a little but is it a big deal?

Depends

It all depends on the percent change. If you go with a 110mm on road and change to a 115mm off road or whatever, no biggie.

If you try to change to some crazy different size it will make a huge difference.

Super big and you will severely overload the engine (alot of energy to get those big wheels moving).

Super small and your car will seem so slow, you will keep it WOT alot longer for any given area you are driving it in.

I have some on roads for my 1/8 buggy's and they are a few mm smaller than the normal off roads. No biggie.

Just dont get too carried away.

Peace

Back