Engine Upgrade options for 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicmaxx

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Recently picked up a used 4910 Maxx with a 2.5r, that seems like its on its last leg.

Sooo I'm looking for recommendations on upgrades as I'm not sure if I want another 2.5. I've heard decent things about the Dynamite .19, how is that comparable for power wise? Any other suggestions?

Looking for a good motor

The dynamite .19 will run circles around the 2.5 and its a direct replacement, @ the price of it its also the best bang for the buck,after that theres a handfull of midblocks out there that arent too powerfull,

Picco.21
Os .21tm
Orion wasp. 21
These 3 are all fast little snotty mills
Anything after these will require some serious driveline mods,

Last edited:
i was kinda in the same spot, i went with another 2.5 motor. I saved what i could off my motor and got a motor from ebay for like 60.00. It was nice motor but... i never have ever got a new motor that is prone to air leaks and run so hot. I know trx motors run hot but there is thread after thread of people not even being able to run there new motor super rich and staying under 300 deg. It is hit or miss with there motors, if i could do it again i would not get the trx motor. Here is the thing ask your self they charge top dollar for there rtr trucks even there 2.5 rtr right? Why is there motors so cheap? i mean there motor is less then my .18 motor in my sc10gt truck and that rtr was close to 200.00 less then there 2.5 rtr . they over heat and you will spend time and money tracking down air leaks. Carb body, back plate is so prone for leaks its not even funny. i am kicking my self in my own butt.

---------- Post added at 9:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:52 AM ----------

dynamite .19 i do want to know if you guys can use the traxxas pullstart and one way bearing ? i see you can use the tune pipe with it. Op if you can use the traxxas pullstart and one way bearing get the dynamite and ditch the ez start if you have that crap

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:57 AM ----------

get the dynamite, you can use all your parts you can save. i called and found out , what a way better motor. i am selling my 2.5 and buying this today.

Recently picked up a used 4910 Maxx with a 2.5r, that seems like its on its last leg.

Sooo I'm looking for recommendations on upgrades as I'm not sure if I want another 2.5. I've heard decent things about the Dynamite .19, how is that comparable for power wise? Any other suggestions?

Looking for a good motor

If your on a budget go with the Dynamite .19 just be sure to tear it down and seal it up before running it. My buddy is running one and had to pull the carb first thing because during break in it was creating an air leak. But they are great performing engines. My first choice would be the Picco .21 P1, after that probably the Nova just because Nova mills are Bad freakin A!

If your on a budget go with the Dynamite .19 just be sure to tear it down and seal it up before running it. My buddy is running one and had to pull the carb first thing because during break in it was creating an air leak. But they are great performing engines. My first choice would be the Picco .21 P1, after that probably the Nova just because Nova mills are Bad freakin A!
Are they just as prone as air leaks as the 2.5 and run hot as well?? i am about to buy one my self. i think my 2.5 is running ok but i am super rich and i want to try another drop in with my max. I think the op is in the same spot as me .

Are they just as prone as air leaks as the 2.5 and run hot as well?? i am about to buy one my self. i think my 2.5 is running ok but i am super rich and i want to try another drop in with my max. I think the op is in the same spot as me .

Have you tried to seal up the 2.5 engine. All you need is some good high temp copper seal. I seal all my engine's regardless off make. And no most of the higher quality mills are not prone to air leaks as bad as the traxxas mills. I would not even run a traxxas engine unless I had sealed it first.

For those of you whom have not experienced the difference in quality between the low end RTR engines like Traxxas and Dynamite (I consider them throw a ways, get what you can get out of them and toss them) compared to the Novarossi engines, do yourself a favor and spend a few extra $$ to find out. You will not be sorry.

As much as I would like to have the Nova, I don't think I'm committed to spending that much $$$.

The Dynamite was in my price range, but I like what I see from Picco. I can only find the P2 though and that's on flea bay.

Is there anywhere else to buy these?

Awesome.

It looks like I'll be ordering one of those in a few weeks.

Can't wait for warmer weather

the nova 2.5 runs for $179 off amain ,great little engine got one in my slayer pro

Have you tried to seal up the 2.5 engine. All you need is some good high temp copper seal. I seal all my engine's regardless off make. And no most of the higher quality mills are not prone to air leaks as bad as the traxxas mills. I would not even run a traxxas engine unless I had sealed it first.

funny thing i have had a few traxxas motors and never had a air leak issue. My 2.5 is running better. My low end was to lean and i was over heating. I did a few test runs and i was running better when i ran int a big park. I been putting a lot of time and money in to my max. I got my new steering servo and things are looking up. I did not find a leak that needed to be sealed, i do want to add i am going to do the carb just for peace of mind. The back plate might get done, i will pull the motor so i will do it. This will not happen tell next month tell ya i went over my rc budget all ready. I had some issues with my sc truck yesterday.. so far things are ok with my maxx.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

For those of you whom have not experienced the difference in quality between the low end RTR engines like Traxxas and Dynamite (I consider them throw a ways, get what you can get out of them and toss them) compared to the Novarossi engines, do yourself a favor and spend a few extra $$ to find out. You will not be sorry.

i agree, after a rebuild on mot rtr cheapo motor you can buy a new one or upgrade to a better motor for not much more and you do not have to sit there and build a motor. I really want a os motor for my t maxx, i know i have a new motor so i will see how things go. I know when things warm up in the next few months i will go with a os in my sc truck and if the price is right the maxx might see a new motor. I know i can sell my 2.5 and get a few bucks out of it. At this point my motor has seen like 1/4 a gallon if that

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

As much as I would like to have the Nova, I don't think I'm committed to spending that much $$$.

The Dynamite was in my price range, but I like what I see from Picco. I can only find the P2 though and that's on flea bay.

Is there anywhere else to buy these?

My local guy has a Dynamite in stock and i was going to check it out last night but it was fri night/race night so i might try to get there in the next few days. Its like 109.00 but as i read and the guys on here have said its on par with most rtr cheapo motors. I do think based on what I SEEN, it is better then the 2.5 but i like the Picco at its price point. If you can save up for a nova , ya know i seen some maxxs with to much power. If that can be said in a bad way but it was to much for small areas and even getting on the throttle you would pull wheelies all over the place. I know a guy that did not like that he would freak out when his 3.3 would lift up. gearing/slipper can fix that but still

funny thing i have had a few traxxas motors and never had a air leak issue. My 2.5 is running better. My low end was to lean and i was over heating. I did a few test runs and i was running better when i ran int a big park. I been putting a lot of time and money in to my max. I got my new steering servo and things are looking up. I did not find a leak that needed to be sealed, i do want to add i am going to do the carb just for peace of mind. The back plate might get done, i will pull the motor so i will do it. This will not happen tell next month tell ya i went over my rc budget all ready. I had some issues with my sc truck yesterday.. so far things are ok with my maxx.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

i agree, after a rebuild on mot rtr cheapo motor you can buy a new one or upgrade to a better motor for not much more and you do not have to sit there and build a motor. I really want a os motor for my t maxx, i know i have a new motor so i will see how things go. I know when things warm up in the next few months i will go with a os in my sc truck and if the price is right the maxx might see a new motor. I know i can sell my 2.5 and get a few bucks out of it. At this point my motor has seen like 1/4 a gallon if that

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

My local guy has a Dynamite in stock and i was going to check it out last night but it was fri night/race night so i might try to get there in the next few days. Its like 109.00 but as i read and the guys on here have said its on par with most rtr cheapo motors. I do think based on what I SEEN, it is better then the 2.5 but i like the Picco at its price point. If you can save up for a nova , ya know i seen some maxxs with to much power. If that can be said in a bad way but it was to much for small areas and even getting on the throttle you would pull wheelies all over the place. I know a guy that did not like that he would freak out when his 3.3 would lift up. gearing/slipper can fix that but still

Man the dynamite .19 will run all over the 2.5 all day. And you can't go wrong with a Picco no matter what. I would pay out the $109.00 for the Dynamite than a higher price on the Traxxas engine anyday.

Back