Engine tuning and Shifting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyD

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Sup Fellas
I'm new to the Nitro Scene and have a Question :)

I have a Savage .25 rtr and i recently broke in the engine and now am on my 8th tank and have dialed in the hsn 1 full turn from factory setting , if factory setting is accurate that leaves me at 3 1/2 turns from closed at this point and 1 full turn to 2 1/2 from closed to go for adjustment ... Last night on my 2nd tank as the truck warmed up i noticed (temp here is almost 0) a pickup in power finally near 1/4 tank left i gave it and it SHIFTED !! LOL WoW the Power !!! I've seen The Light !!! anyhow hehe enough of that for now and heres my ? when i dial in the hsn more will it not take so long to shift? or is it more related to ur engine warming in order to get the RPM's high enough, I dont really wanna play with the factory settings on the tranny yet :) reason why I'm taking my time in dialing it in is because i wanna do a slow gradual break in and was told not to rush the process ...

any help would be appreciated

all big block engines have to warm up.. just like a car engine... warm it up to 230 degrees... a pocket tem gauge is a manditory for engines... if you order a Nova head you can get a temp gun for like $18.. the Nova head drops your engine heat up to 40 degrees..

Hey Sunny D, glad to hear that you are having a good time with the Savage, as far as shifting adjustments that is done in the tranny itself, if you look in the Savage 25 manual it tells you how to adjust for a sooner or later shift, but factory settings should be right on for shifting, like TRD said you do need to let it warm up before you go mashing the gas on it, I usually drive mine at less than half throttle up and back about a 40 foot stretch 3 or 4 times and by then it is getting warmed up, though it isn't near as cold here in South Dakota as it is where ever you are (where are you anyway??)

Back