Engine Too Hot!

• Thread starter SilentHunterKellen
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentHunterKellen

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My TRX2.5 engine always get hot. But not to hot to overheat. Id guess around 285-310(at times) But i try to richen out the hsn and the lsn and it still heats up. Almost my whole front window is cut out. Except for like 1/4 of the end side. My side window is completely cut out and The cooling fins are clear from Dirt. I use 20% Blue Thunda and its supposed to run cool on that gas...I have no idea whats wrong!:wtf:
[move]-Kellen[/move]

If it was a hot day, you need to lean it in order for it to cool. It don't go this way, Hot day=rich, cold days=lean... You need to even out the air/fuel mixture. Don't over lean it, just a bit so it can even out. It's either than or you got a air leak.

One, the TRX engines tend to run hot. I know the 2.5 is supposed to run on the cool side like most high performance engines, but you are about the tenth person who has mentioned having a 2.5 that seems to run hot.

Two, the hot day/cold day things is actually reversed. On hot days, running lean is a good thing and on cold days you want to run rich. The air density is lower on hot days so the engine actually gets "less air" by volume than on cold days. This means you need to adjust your mix accordingly...thus hot = lean and cold = rich.

Now to address the potential problem. Odds are you don't have a problem. Do you notice any decrease in performance? Does it just suddenly die after a while of running? If not, the engine is probably not overheating nor is it in danger of doing so.

The engine may be designed to run at a lower temperature, but the engineers will be the first to tell you that running hotter affects engine life in different ways (from not at all to catastrophic failure in a short time). There is no one right answer.

I would suggest going to either a higher nitro percentage (like 30%), adding a little castor oil to your fuel (do this to the gallon vice trying to add a teaspoon or something per tank), or richen up your settings (increased fuel adds oil and allows for a slightly cooler run) and see what happens.

When you get the problem resolved, let us know what solution worked.

Last edited:
Thanks skymaxx! Now ill lean it out when i go DOWN to my local track. I'm still sacred of my engine lasting a short while because of the high temperatures. But i think if that leaning out thing doesn't work...I'm going to either get an onboard monitor or a temp gun. Then I can confirm my Temperature. Thanks!
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Mayhems 2.5 runs at about 285 constantly and he has not had a problem yet and has run over a gallon through it

Originally posted by SilentHunterKellen
Thanks skymaxx! Now ill lean it out when i go DOWN to my local track. I'm still sacred of my engine lasting a short while because of the high temperatures. But i think if that leaning out thing doesn't work...I'm going to either get an onboard monitor or a temp gun. Then I can confirm my Temperature. Thanks!
[move]-Kellen[/move]

When I say to lean the engine on hot days, that is from factory settings and lean for performance. DO NOT OVER LEAN the engine. If you are already too lean, then you might need to richen the mix to solve the problem. As you have described the problem, I am not sure if you are lean or rich from factory set.

Either way, let us know how things work out.

Goin to the track this weekend. If i can.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Would anyone reccomend this Cooling Head or has anyone tried it or seen it before? Looks like it cools alot better than the stock head on the 2.5!
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Bad link...your link is pointing to the new reply page of this site.

If you are planning on replacing your head, I would go with the Hardcore Racing Mutant head. I run one on my OS and it dropped the running temps significantly. They look really nice too. Hardcore makes some top quality products.

407570Mutant2.5head.jpg

Did you look at my link? The link i provided looks cool but.....Do YOU have a like to that cooling head? Thanks. Really looking into getting one!
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Tell me what you think:

This?

[move]-Kellen[/move]

Thanks!:cheers:
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Back