Engine Temp

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alein

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok I was just liking to know what is a good running temperature for an os.15cvx. I am right now running at about 220-240 after a good wot run.

Great temps! You are already there! You may even be able to squeeze a hair more performance out of it as well. Just do an 1/8th turn on the HSN and see what it gets you. And so on.

I run about 310 on my CVRX no matter what I do. According to OS this is perfectly normal and acceptable. They advised me that the same engine can run hotter/colder depending on the mill. Looks like you got a good one :D

Dont get me wrong, mines good too. Just wish it ran 240......

I keep kicking that thought around. Trust me, since your last post on the matter it has stuck in my head like a nail! I might just break down and do it this week.

:chinese:

My Cvx .15 used to run about 280 - 290 until I put my Mutant on it now I run about 190, even in the grass it only goes about 210 - 220 tops, and YES FastEddy I do have smoke. Not to mention how nice it looks too! I was able to lean it out a little more and get real nice power out of my OS.

So if I wanted i could lean it out a bit more without to much worries. I got that temperature reading using an mip onboard guage. So I think it maybe running about 10-20 more then what I first gave as a reading as I tried to get a ir guage but the dump hole I live in doesn't have any, not even in the Radioshack store.

Alein check sears they sell them to. Thats if you have one near you.

Thanx Hunter I will check it out. I only have a small depot here but there is a main store 25 kms from here.

Alien, I would not lean it out any more until you get a temp gun. Those on board guages have a tendency to be off a few degrees, not to mention you can get different readings depending on exactly where the sensor is located on the head. A temp gun will give you a much more accurate reading. Or at least find someone who has one and compare your temps so you know what the difference is in your on board guage.

If your onboard temp gauge is wrapped around the last set of fins on the bottom of the head, then your estimate is right on as far as how many degress its off. Typically 10-14 degrees on the bottom rung lower than in the 'dump hole' :)

my os cvx runs in the 220-270 depending on me and the tune. I bash with it in the 220 -250 range and when i need to really move i let it run hot at 270. I find it takes a lot of playing with both needles setting to get the right temp and performance. I like low end so I have my low end on the leaner side.(with smoke at all time) and I compensate for it with a richer hsn. My low end is the best (my lhs can't believe it, when tuned it wheelies on command,rolling wheelies and 2nd gear wheelies) my top end is not nothing to write home about. (if i need top end i richen up the lsn a bit and then lean up the hsn to my liking). I also have the mutant head. It works great, but it is the first thing to hit when you flip!

Çh®i§tiªñ
I have the sensor right at the base of the glow plug against the head.

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
Dont get me wrong, mines good too. Just wish it ran 240......
I guess this is just generated by a knuckle dragger like myself, but why do you wish yours ran so much lower? Does it run great? Has it burn up? Have you burned your hands too many times? If you answered no to the first 2 and yes to the third then you might want to learn from experience and not put your hand where it will get burned and leave the engine where it is running great.

Lol....

No. Its the inevitable. Run hot for long durrations = spent piston sleeve quicker. I wanted to use the 2 year warranty just before the 2 years. Looks like I might be using it around the 1 year mark instead. But my other OS mills are great! They also run at 240-250.

O.S. themselves told me that 340 on my mill was perfectly fine and normal if my mill was 'performing' well. So hey, Ill run with it.

and yes I have burned my hand, just not on the mill, the exhaust nips me once in a while.

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
and yes I have burned my hand, just not on the mill, the exhaust nips me once in a while.
Did you learn not to put your hand there? If so then you're in a good spot.

I kind of enjoy the pain - its the maso side of me hehehe....

:bandit: