Engine rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinestars199

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm going on 8 gallons soon so I know I'm gona need a rebuild soon do u guys think outing a new piston rod and sleeve assembly in the f4.6 engine from Hpi is worth it or should I try a different engine the rebuild would be 60$ off ebay

Hell if you can get all the parts for $60 i would rebuild. Your not gonna get a new mill for that price. If it were a trx engine i would have to say get new engine.

I was thinking of buying an lrp 32 engine on eBay but the price to rebuild my stock Hpi engine is outstanding

When i looked to rebuild my 3.3 it totaled like $90. So i just spent $20 more and got a .19T instead. I've still got the 3.3 and if i find everything to rebuild it for around $60 i will still do it. But just to have a spare engine.

for $129 from HPi you can trade that in for a complete new engine. new block,new crank,new rod, new piston,new sleeve, new carb, new pullstart

How long should a Savage X 4.6 engine last before needing a rebuild/replacement (general use, not racing or extreme bashing)?

Depends on how much you run it. The K4.6 in my old Savage X lasted through 10 gallons of fuel before needing a new piston and sleeve.

Go with the LRP. The LRP .30 will be plenty of muscle for the savage.

How long should a Savage X 4.6 engine last before needing a rebuild/replacement (general use, not racing or extreme bashing)?

10-12 gallons with a good tune is about what most people get.

---------- Post added at 7:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:48 PM ----------

I was thinking of buying an lrp 32 engine on eBay but the price to rebuild my stock Hpi engine is outstanding

When my 5.9 in my XL finally dies I am going to go with a lrp .32 that I hope to get modded by ERCM.

How hard/expensive are they to rebuild/replace (for a newbie)?

your forgetting $20 for new bearings. Kida silly to change everything but those. That puts you at $80 to repair a $90 engine.

How hard/expensive are they to rebuild/replace (for a newbie)?

Piston and sleeve are pretty simple but if you decide to do the bearings they can be a little tricky the first time. The bearings are by no means hard they are just a little more involved than just pulling out the piston and sleeve and dropping a new one in.

your forgetting $20 for new bearings. Kida silly to change everything but those. That puts you at $80 to repair a $90 engine.

Why change the bearings if the old ones are still good? Kinda silly to spend money on parts that aren't needed.

Because bearings wear out too and to not change them when doing a complete rebuild doesn't make much sense. Spend all that on the P/S and rod to blow the motor when a front bearing craps out. BTW that engine is known for bad front bearings.

Also spending the extra 20-40$ on the new engine gives you a carb you can sell on ebay for $20 and an extra backplate, starter, headbutton and case.

IMO it only makes sense to rebuild higher end engines. $170 and up range.

Last edited:
8 gallons is a lot for a set of bearings, they may still feel OK, but could let go at any moment. It's not worth re-building an 8 gallon budget engine anyway. You'd need the piston/sleeve set, bearings, and a rod. You may also run into carb issues directly after that.

I will respectfully disagree with both of you based on the fact that the very same K4.6 i was talking about is still running on the same crank bearings is came out with. It's had about 3 gallons run through it since the rebuild with no issues with the bearings whatsoever.

Its a matter of precaution. While your in there, might as well for $20. Sometimes you can find them cheaper. I recently bought a LRP.28. I found a new case with bearings for $25.

Since I was changing the P/S and rod, I think its worth peace of mind. So I'm out approx $115 on my rebuild on a $180 engine.

---------- Post added at 9:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:00 AM ----------

Its a matter of precaution. While your in there, might as well for $20. Sometimes you can find them cheaper. I recently bought a LRP.28. I found a new case with bearings for $25.

Since I was changing the P/S and rod, I think its worth peace of mind. So I'm out approx $115 on my rebuild on a $180 engine.

+1, I'd rather replace the bearings while I've got it torn down. You need to remember, those bearings are spinning at 35,000 rpm. I also agree that a rebuild on a budget engine, unless you get a great deal on the parts, isn't really worth it.

Bearings can be here today, gone tomorrow. I work with bearings every day and just because they feel ok doesn't mean they'll last. I'm not saying you couldn't get 10 or more gallons on a set, but if you're gonna spend $60, why not make it $80. I've seen them go bad in less than a gallon, especially when you have a new piston and sleeve set.

would ya replace only the piston and rod in your car motor without replacing the crank and con-rod bearings? i think NOT

if ya did, you just wasted your money!

so why would a rc motor be any different? big waste of time, effort money and parts to have a bearing scatter a couple tanks after re-build and scrap the parts you just replaced
in my opinion, anyway

Back