Ek4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing looks like a fun project. Do you have any plans for a new motor?

Depends on what shape this one is in. I would like to keep the original. Replacement heli engines are $400 and only rev to 18,000 rpm.

Needs an aftermarket head for sure IMO

I had one of those once. I was going to try to but a four stroke heli engine on it. Project never really got off the ground really. I sold the sucker. Goodness that was about 8 -9 years ago too.

Its in better shape than I thought. Needs some TLC, but thats cool. Maybe just a new ring and bearings for the engine. I ordered a better head also.

Granted it will be a novelty only sort of thing but still it does have cool factor to it. I would be afraid to bash it too hard just because if it broke.....parts are all dried up for it. I mean parts were hard to get back then....I can't imagine parts support has gotten better. I really wish I would have been able to get that Saito stuffed in to it. That would have been cool.

I havent started working on it yet, Got a saltwater sytem for the pool and my daughters science project taking up most of my time. I did pick up an extra set of wheels for $30 on egay.

Motor isnt frozen and everything moves freely. I'm still going to do a complete tear down and rebuild. I think I can get away with a new piston ring and some orings. I ordered new bearings already.

Well ordered a set if bearings and piston ring. I already have a better cooling head. I also bought new ti turnbuckles all of them, 18oomah hump pack, new shocks,hitec 7954 steering. Ill use a 5645mg for throttle.

The shocks are the exact same sie as Tmaxx shocks with heavy springs. I have a new set of shocks comming and will use hpi springs with a couple coils cut off. Matches the factory ones perfectly.

Diffs were in good shape, I just rebuilt them. I ordered a S4 clutch ser up I hope it fits.

Also an OS .28 carb. I hear theyre waty easier to tune than the TT multi needle POS. Ill get some pics up after I get everything together.

Sounds like she will be up and running soon.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Well a few pics. Got it all redone. New bearings all around including engine. New Tmaxx shocks with Savage springs (6 coils cut off). New elecs, new Titanium turnbuckles, steering arm, and upper arms. New head, OS carb and Motorsaver for the engine. 4 shoe clutch new shafts and cvds. New tank and linkage.

I painted the rims. Hate doing that, but the chrome was gone.

null_zps84ce6e77.jpg

null_zps0e45117c.jpg

null_zpsd2af1c86.jpg

null_zps15931e18.jpg

null_zps32de270c.jpg

null_zps57c511ad.jpg

Very nice! She looks great. Have you had a chance to run it yet?

Sent from my XT907

Fired it today too. can't keep it running though. No base settings to start with. May take a while to figure it out

Got it to run through an entire tank at a time today. That $50 clutch doesn't work at all though....Ordered a stock 5.9 Savage clutch.

The link says no media. Did you know the EK4 is the same as the MGT 4.6? Thunder tiger is just a cheaper version of Associated like Scion for Toyota. Same vehicles which can give you more aftermarket options.

Thats my sig. Its a link to my PB acct. Since those assholes changed it you have to pull the library from the left of the screen. Its all my R/C;s

The EK4 has a foward facing Heli engine and no trans. The MGT is more like a cross between a Tmaxx and LST. Beefed up Tmaxx suspension with a sideways engine.

The EK4 is a lot like the old Ofna Monster Pirate with the bigger engine.

I had realized that after I wrote that is when the EK4 was the HUGE MT that Thunder Tiger had made I was thinking it was the MTA-4. My bad. Nice rig none the less