Ebay hassle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4u2nv

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, I sold my Tmobile Sidekick 2 on ebay. My paypal is STILL messed up so I had to take payment by money order, or personal check and informed that the check would be held until cleared, so I recommended a money order for instant shipping. Anyway, this dude wont he auction and sent me a personal check. Well the check was check number 101 and didnt have ANY information in the top left corner (Where it usually has there name, addy, phone number, drivers licence number etc) So I called the guy and told him Id need a new one because theres no way my bank would cash it. He told me ok, and asked if I would cut the check up. So I did, and I actually sent the pieces of the check back to him. So then he sends me a new check which is also check number 101 but has his info. (I recieved the check last Monday). So I went to the bank and had them verify it for me, and they said the funds were there so I cashed it. I thought that was kinda odd since usually it takes them 4-5 days to verify it. So I didnt ship the phone yet because I wanted to make sure it passed. I emailed the guy and told him that the check still had to be cleared and when it did, I would ship the phone out the same day. So a few minutes ago I got a email from the guy saying he was impatient and canceled the check, and was telling me how I was a good seller, and a nice guy but his impatientnese (Sp?) was killing him. So I emailed him back and told him that the check was already being verified and to just remain patient and hopefully we can get this out soon. (I still got the phone thank god) I curious though as what you guys think. I was told the check cleared and recieved the cash. What I was curious about is, will it still lfy to cancel a check that is a week old and already been cashed? The thing that worries me is that I put the money into my checking account and paid bills since, so I'm worried about if its gonna mess up my account or not? What ya think? Any suggestions what to do? Do I have to notify the RCNT Mob?

When you got your money from the bank it still takes a day or two for the check to clear. A new process went into place a few months ago that make this process fairly quick. Chances are that it has cleared and can not be canceled.

Call your bank on Monday morning and be sure it has cleared and if the check is canceled after the fact that it will not be deducted from your account.

Once you are sure the money is "Yours" send the item insured with a SIGNATURE REQUIRED. If he decides to not accept the phone, your covered. Make sure you send it to the address on the check. (I hope you made a copy of the check)

Tip:
Make a few copies of the check and cut out the name and address of one of them and tape it on the package as the mailing label. Doing this will make sure there is no question as to mailing it to the proper address.

I hope this helps.

Well I brought the check in on Tuesday and cashed it, and he said he canceled it today, so ya think it cleared? I just got a email from him saying, "Well if it goes thru than Ill take it, but if it doesn't, Ill suffer the conciquences". I'm not sure I know what that means, but I just replied and asked him, "If your so impatient and were in a extreme hurry to get this, why didnt you send a money order like I suggested on the phone? Then I could have shipped it out right away and you probably would have had the phone by now." As far as making a copy of the check, I didnt, but I'm sure my bank did. They always do for checks that I cash and send me copies of them at the end of the month for records. Its people like this I REALLY hate to deal with on ebay. my rating is 100%, well his is too, but his rating is 3 so.. I just hate having to leave neg feedback and go thru all the hassle of non paying bidder junk. Plus it takes like 2 months to get you final value credit back from ebay, and this one will be like $35..

Oh and the addy should be good cuz when I sent him his cut up check back, he said he got it in 2 days. But yeah, when/if I send the phone (If the check clears) Ill be sure to ship it with a confirmation number and insured so he'll have to sign for it.

Some banks charge you for cashing a check with non-sufficient funds, hope you don't get bit. It's most likely too late for him to cancel it though, can you check your account online and see if the funds show being in you account?

My bank has online banking but I havnt opened that part yet. Ill have to call on monday and see if it went threw or not. I hope it did cuz its a pain in the ass to have to go threw all that non paying bidder crap and all that..ugh..

if my bank tried to charge me, Id tell them to stick it in there ass. there the ones that told he the funds were there and it was fine to cash it. Usually Ill just put it in my account and they'll call me in a couple days to tell me if it went threw or not. this time, when i cashed it, she got on the phone right away and called there bank so.. Who knows..

Just because the funds were available when you cashed the check doesn't mean they are available when it hits their bank.

If you cashed the check (For Cash) and funds aren't available once it reached his bank, they will deduct the amount from your account and charge you a fee for it. (3.00-25.00 depending on your bank.)

Be sure the check has cleared **his** bank before you send the phone.

didnt anyone else find it odd that 4u got 2 checks both numbered "101"? that throws up a red flag for me right there. id want to call his bank myself and see if they have a contact number for the person that owns the account, to see if it matches up with the number your buyer provided, especially since he only has a feedback rating of 3. if you tell the bank that your an ebay seller and suspect possible fraud I'm sure they would be happy to help. they may not give you the number, but should offer to call the person themselves, and let you know the outcome.

I have been banking with the same bank since I was enlisted, Naval Federal Credit Union. Everytime I order checks the number starts over at 001, with all the information on it. It's very likely he just had a new bank account or maybe even double copies of the checks in case one gets voided.

Either way, once the bank says the money is good to go, it's usually going to be hard for him to stop the payment, and if he did try you would most likely be notified and someone from the financial inst. would figure it all out before it ever got back to you.

Would you just mail my phone already... I'm very impatient!!! :jk:
My bank would cash it if I had at least that much funds... then if it bounces, the banks ass is covered and mines hangin out gettin' sunburnt. Banks sure aint what they used too, but you should be fine.

My guess is the "Kid" opened a new account and got starter checks. He then got his Permanent checks in the mail and sent you one.

Once the bank says the money has been deducted from the buyers account there is a 99% chance there are no issues. The only exception would be if it wasn't his account and he made counterfeit checks. If this is the case it may take up to one month before the owner of the account finds that someone is writing checks in their account. I don't know if the seller is covered if this happens. I have never had this happen but will guess that you will not be covered. Banks take no liability for anything.

This is why PP is such a great service. I suggest you get your PP account up and going before you make any more E-Bay sales.

Paypal fuckin blows. It is a great service and I'm really just jelouse that mine doesn't work, but them fuckers have had over 3 months to get my poop fixed. All I did was change banks (Did it over the phone) and one of them dumb basterds messed something up, so I've been poop up a creek for over 3 months. And I call weekly to see where its at with them and I get the same poop saying its being corrected.

But yeah I aint sending out poop until everythings clear. I tried calling his bank to get everything verified but they said they dont give out that information, so I kinda chewed some ass there too. Explained how I think its pretty sad that I have to risk by cashing a check I'm not sure of because there dumb asses wont give out the information to at least verify if the account is real.

The only bad thing in the long run about PayPal, is that it's run by it's own people. It is NOT FDIC insured, It IS NOT run by a bank or credit union. They have complete control over your money and account status. If anything ever goes wrong, or someone logs a complaint against you, your money can be locked down for as long as it takes them to pull thier collective heads out of thier asses and do something about it.

Tweak said:
The only bad thing in the long run about PayPal, is that it's run by it's own people. It is NOT FDIC insured, It IS NOT run by a bank or credit union. They have complete control over your money and account status. If anything ever goes wrong, or someone logs a complaint against you, your money can be locked down for as long as it takes them to pull thier collective heads out of thier asses and do something about it.

This just happen to my brother. He made a payment for his brother in law, later the brother in law got in some poop with paypal and they closed his account. Well about 2 months later they locked my brothers account because they said it was linked to the brother in law....Now they are holding over $800.00 for at least 6 months and he can no longer use paypal. He was a long term member with over 700 deals and a 99% feedback...He only had one complaint and that was over 2 years ago.

So much for customer loyalty :whack:

I simply tell potential buyers I will reject personal checks or cashiers checks...There not worth the trouble.

Man, I hate to say it, but your brother is probably never gonna see that cash again. I can't count how many people I know just off the top of my head who refuse to use paypal. I have to for work, otherwise i wouldn't.

PayPal is it's own seperate identity. It is not goverend by yanything besides the Better Business guidelines and some basic laws. If you are going to give these people your money be smart about it. Get a seperate bank account and IMO, don't get it verified. It comes in handy to make online payments, but DO NOT let these people have access to your main bank account. They can give you the shaft in a second, and all it takes is one single complaint.

Back