dying rims

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgers8

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i got some dyable rims a while ago and I'm going to dye them soon. i have scarlet red, yellow, and orange rit dyes. i was wondering if there were any special ways you could dye them more then one color or other cool methods. thanks for your help.

Cool idea.... Hmmm...

I wonder if clear Plasti-dip aerosol would work for this. At any rate, if you are going to boil dye them like most people do you would have to cover up the areas that you don't want dyed (at the moment). Kind of like painting a body. Only, after you finish the first color you would have to cover it up because the 2nd color dye will affect the 1st color if it is exposed. I'd like to see what you come up with :thumbup::thumbup:

i think I'm gunna try nail polish or something to cover certain areas but I'm affraid it will come off in the boiling water. i am also thinking that if i do yellow and dont like it i can go over it in orange. then if i dont like that i can go over it in red. but then it would just be a solid color which isn't that cool.

i want to do stipes. one orange one yellow and one red but it would be hard. its hard to cover up areas because its not flat like a body. I'm still thinking though.

thanks

I don't think you want to use anything permanent to do the cover up. I was thinking you would want to use something that can come off but only when you want it to. Something that will withstand the hot water. Plasti-dip is pretty tough stuff. I actually used it to coat my 1:1 car rims this summer and it has held up great.

well with the nail polish you can just use nail polish remover to get it off. I'm just afraid it will come off in the water.

i was thinking of dipping part of it in, then turning it and dipping it in a different color and once again but then i realized the middle would have no color and at some places the colors would overlap. it would have looked cool though.

how well does a darker color cover over a light color? i was thinking that i could dye the whole thing yellow. then i could dye as much as i want orange and then the outside part red. so it would be 3 different color rings. but I'm affraid that the colors will go through each other and the final color will be a brownish color.

use a hot glue gun to mask any areas that you dont want dyed..I'm gonna dye my fuel tank on the revo & mask a vertical line as a gauge. the dye wont permiate the glue, and it peels right off when you're done

Not a bad idea Metal Mike. I do know that with anodize if you have exposed "unsealed" areas that were dyed already than the colors will dye into each other and spread. The hot glue is a solid idea as you can let it cool and just cut/peel as needed

Back