dyeing parts on my stampede

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpslash667

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
so, I have an idea on one of my trucks, only question is will it work? so I have green skid plates and I was gonna dye the gearbox while I was at it. Would a purple dye work on the grey and the green? or should I just make the gearbox black and stick with black and green? its for the 30th digger body, so I thought it'd look awesome. But if it wont work then i'll just keep it black and green.

First off never thought about dyeing that’s a really cool idea how do you do it what kinda dye ext I mean I’d probably end up dying myself and everything else but so cool second I’d say go for it and try it I have an oh grave digger too and I think the purple would look so cool and worst case if it doesn’t work and you have to do the black at least black covers everything but that’s my opinion either way I’d totally love to see how it turns out

If you dye the grey purple, it will come out very dark. It may look like purple, but I'm guessing it will be close to black. The green will likely look like a puke green. It just depends on the dye. Black would work fine though.

Click my build thread contributor badge. In that thread, I dye a blue Slash chassis black with Rit dye.

If you dye the grey purple, it will come out very dark. It may look like purple, but I'm guessing it will be close to black. The green will likely look like a puke green. It just depends on the dye. Black would work fine though.

Click my build thread contributor badge. In that thread, I dye a blue Slash chassis black with Rit dye.
thanks man, might just leave it as is. dang, it was a cool idea!!

can you dye a Traxxas rustler 4x4 chassis blue? If so, how would I do that? I saw that @woody did that but I didn't see if he said how to do that.
can you dye a Traxxas rustler 4x4 chassis blue? If so, how would I do that? I saw that @woody did that but I didn't see if he said how to do that.
i meant @WoodiE

i meant @WoodiE
Traxxas chassis dye pretty easily. Going from grey to blue, you might end up with a dark blue. It depends on the color you use.

Thought when you used Rit dye you had to bring water near boiling?seen guys dye white rims thats how they did it

There is no color that can be added to green to make it purple, all you can do is make the green darker, anywhere from olive to black at this point, problem is that you can't remove the yellow which is what was mixed with blue to make it green and you can only add red which will darken to a shade of olive.

*** Side Note ***

Not sure if anyone here was ever on URC, but there was a famous thread over there called "Shadow Slash" where a guy was trying to sell his Slash which he claimed that he dyed it black but you can clearly see overspray from spray paint on the shock springs... the comments on the thread were hilarious, not just the bad spray paint job but a long list of things wrong with the poorly maintained Slash, the OP would persist to claim it was dyed.... I can't give the thread justice but if anyone has any screen shots from it, it would be worth sharing, ha!

that's fine! is it a pain in the butt to do though?
It's easy. You just need a pot big enough to fit the chassis in. Heat the dye to boiling, hang your part in the dye, and watch it change color. It may take 5 minutes, it may take 10. Here we did the helmet for our Ryft. Make sure the pan you use isn't something your mom is going to kill you for ruining it 😉

It's easy. You just need a pot big enough to fit the chassis in. Heat the dye to boiling, hang your part in the dye, and watch it change color. It may take 5 minutes, it may take 10. Here we did the helmet for our Ryft. Make sure the pan you use isn't something your mom is going to kill you for ruining it 😉
Okay thanks! Do you think blue will look good? I’m going for a blue, pink, purple, black, and grey. The body shell is pink purple black and grey. I have blue rpm a arms and a blue center drive shaft.
also remember when I snapped my rustler 4x4 in half? I just ordered the parts a couple of days ago and the stuff that I had to buy from traxxas is arriving today. I bought the chassis and drive shaft on Jenny’s RCs and I got the drive shaft adapter and battery strap down set from traxxas.

Okay thanks! Do you think blue will look good? I’m going for a blue, pink, purple, black, and grey. The body shell is pink purple black and grey. I have blue rpm a arms and a blue center drive shaft.
also remember when I snapped my rustler 4x4 in half? I just ordered the parts a couple of days ago and the stuff that I had to buy from traxxas is arriving today. I bought the chassis and drive shaft on Jenny’s RCs and I got the drive shaft adapter and battery strap down set from traxxas.
I don't know. I have not tried to dye a gray chassis blue. All I know is it will come out a lot darker than the blue you use. The red dye in that Ryft chassis in that video was a bright scarlet red, yet with the chassis being light gray, it came out that pale maroon color.

In my build thread I dyed a Slash chassis black. Black is super easy to do. I have dyed quite a few parts black. But he's asking about dying a gray chassis blue. Have you seen anything on that?

In my build thread I dyed a Slash chassis black. Black is super easy to do. I have dyed quite a few parts black. But he's asking about dying a gray chassis blue. Have you seen anything on that?

he explains that in the video, the colors come out dull but doable

In my house…”hey mom what are you making sauce?…. Nope dyeing my chassis….” Yup I can see this being a thing 😂

Specially plastic paints also work. Very toxic and a bit costly.

Basically clean as possible and an etching primer. I suspect old school RC paints would work as well. I have not tested on a high use basher.

There is no color that can be added to green to make it purple, all you can do is make the green darker, anywhere from olive to black at this point, problem is that you can't remove the yellow which is what was mixed with blue to make it green and you can only add red which will darken to a shade of olive.

*** Side Note ***

Not sure if anyone here was ever on URC, but there was a famous thread over there called "Shadow Slash" where a guy was trying to sell his Slash which he claimed that he dyed it black but you can clearly see overspray from spray paint on the shock springs... the comments on the thread were hilarious, not just the bad spray paint job but a long list of things wrong with the poorly maintained Slash, the OP would persist to claim it was dyed.... I can't give the thread justice but if anyone has any screen shots from it, it would be worth sharing, ha!
It dye! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I tried to find it on the way back machine once but came up empty handed.

Back