Dusting off the old T-maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave926

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bought the original tmaxx years ago, with the .15 motor. Always had overheating issues, etc so i got the megatech .16. Started the motor once, maybe 5 yrs ago, then put some after-run oil in it and put it in storage.

I've never drove the motor around, as my radio crapped on me, and now I getting ready to start using the truck again. What is out there for perf parts, as i see everything is listed for the 2.5, 3.3 etc. and nothing for the original truck. Anyone ever use the megatech motor?

The one thing I want to do to this truck more than anything is lower it....it used to climb like crazy but would roll over way to easy due to massive ground clearance. Whats out there for kits, or better yet what shocks from other trucks are others using?

TIA

One way of lowering it, is to dismantle the shocks, and putting some fuel tubing on the shock shaft inside the housing, thus always having your shocks always being under compression, and lowering your ride height.

If I were you I would put 3.3 arms and axels on it they are much wider than the old pro 15 arms and offer more ride height adjustments plus the wider track will make it a lot more stable.

The wider arms will increase the stability of the side to side to side, but will do nothing for the front to back stability.

I assume the pins and towers all mount up the same, along with th hubs as well?

What about the megatech motor? I saw a youtube vid with one and it seemed to move ok.

I picked up a XXX-NT a few months ago, I think I'm going to try mounting up the shocks to see how it works out

You could put a wheelie bar on it to help with the front to back stability, not sure about the hubs, or the diffs. The pins and towers should be fine.

Last edited:
I've been looking around the last few days and I'm having a hard time just finding upgrades for it. Extended chassis, big block conversions etc. are like don't exist or are discontinued. Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to a newer maxx? Like a 3.3 or something?

i wouldnt bother. my pro.15 maxx is fine. i put the 3.3 a arms, axles, and turnbuckles on mine and it really increases stability. most 2.5 and 3.3 parts are compatable with the pro.15 chassis.

I bought a new 3.3 t-maxx about 6 months ago and i love it. I have had some crashes and they have all been my fault. but the best part is my local H.S stocks a complete line of parts for it, I am currently looking to buy a new nitro m.t, so which would you guys recomend, a hpi savage 4.6 or a new revo, i really love my t-maxx cause its one tough truck. but my 9 year old son wants it so i am looking for another, which would you choose?

Why not just get another T-Maxx. If your lhs keeps a full line of parts in stock for it. Then what ever you and your son may break, you will be back up and running in no time.

well, my local h.s also keeps a complete line of hpi parts too, he is really nice and only charges me for parts, he says that working on them is his way of having fun, when i first got into the hobby, a friend told me that no matter what you run, you're gonna break parts, and he was right. but i gotta say having a t-maxx has been the best experience i have had yet. i have been wanting a savage really bad so my son is giving me a good excuse to go buy one. and the best part is I still get to drive the t-maxx.

the original tmaxx was a 2.5 but as for shocks you can prbly buy a set of losi aftershock shock I'm not sure if there to big or not you could also try a buggy shock setup