drilling clutch bells???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revo Boy

aka: gunit
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi, i have never seen a vented c bell yet, do they have small holes in them to make them vented????? can i drill small holes in my clutch bells to make them vented??? before anybody says just buy the real things. i dont mind doing this just thought i would do i d.i.y job myself.

many thanks g unit :idea:

Racer's Edge makes vented clutch bells. They have cut outs on the edge where the contact surface meets the back wall of the clutch bell. I'll see if I can post an image of one.

As for drilling them. If you have the right equipment for machining things then you should be good to go. The key is to keep it balanced. That means you need to take out the right amount out and it has to be symmetric.

pics

pics would be good!! i was just gonna use a dremel and drill a couple of holes. ha ha! :hammer:

Racer's Edge make 12T through 18T 1/8 scale vented clutch bells and TRAXXAS Clutch Bells. Associated Engineering and Ofna also make vented clutch bells.

An example of a vented clutch bell
ascc9781.jpg

Last edited:
I whouldn't recomend a vented clutch for an offroad car, all the dust and sand goes inside and it's life is shorter due affects the bearings and shoes, at least this is what it happened in my buggy, just my :2cents:

I ran the vented clutch bells on my Maxx and Savage and had little ill effect. From my gallery you can see where and what environment I put my trucks through.

But you do make a good point, Kazi.

You can vent your own if you choose to however I wouldn't recommend it.
We have no idea of what it will do to the integrity of the bell when you are done. My biggest concern would be the balance as mentioned above. You have the bell spinning up to 30,000 rpm and the smallest amount of unbalance may be enough to trash the bearings on your crank.

Back