Drift tire rims

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericehess

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
Hey all..recently built a drift car, redcat lightning, from the slider. Put brushless 4500kv motor and metal gears and aluminum hopups. Works good but keep breaking rims. I want to upgrade to metal rims and would like some recommendations. Are drift tires easy to install on the rim? Do they need to be glued or do they fit on tight enough without. I also want a tire recommendation that has some decent traction but can still drift. Thanks for any help.

That’s a loaded question. Some may get glued on. Some double sided tape. Some you freeze the rim then heat the tire and they pop on.

Either way you will need the tire setter/remover compression tool they make. Or check them out online and you might be able to make one. I’ve done 2 sets of tires and that was double sided tape.

The aluminum rims will come apart also if you side check them. Only takes a 1/4” lip of concrete to grab it. Then you have to press them back in.

I don’t use mine much but I know the tires that work great on concrete don’t seem to work on much else. Still learning this branch of the hobby and believe this may be the hardest one to master because it’s not main stream yet with lots of support but the support available is awesome.

Proper drift car may be the ultimate scale build with the parts available.

That’s a loaded question. Some may get glued on. Some double sided tape. Some you freeze the rim then heat the tire and they pop on.

Either way you will need the tire setter/remover compression tool they make. Or check them out online and you might be able to make one. I’ve done 2 sets of tires and that was double sided tape.

The aluminum rims will come apart also if you side check them. Only takes a 1/4” lip of concrete to grab it. Then you have to press them back in.

I don’t use mine much but I know the tires that work great on concrete don’t seem to work on much else. Still learning this branch of the hobby and believe this may be the hardest one to master because it’s not main stream yet with lots of support but the support available is awesome.

Proper drift car may be the ultimate scale build with the parts available.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try it without glue and adjust if they come apart.

Back