Double Backflip Attempt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SupaFly

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Here is the second time I tried the double backflip, the first time was much better, but we didnt have a camera on it. the second one wasn't so great. I had no brakes left to stop the rotation in the air. still is impressive to watch.

http://rcsavage.net/movies/doublebackflip_attempt.mpg

all that broke were some of the poopy Hotbodies shocks. those shocks are weaker than the stock shocks.

I am running a Picco .26

Nice vid. Where's your body when going big air like that?

:thumbup: Sweet vid! Good work!

So what went bad on the shocks? Shafts? How many? What weight oil? I hearring a lot of poop about them too. Mine just leak as of right now but my Picco .26 is still under 10 tanks at the moment. Which shocks are you going with next?

-Chris

the endbells on the shocks snap like butter, the shafts seem to be almost identical from the stock shocks to the HB shock and even the new ones I have now, the Team Blue Star shocks which have much stronger ends on them

I wasn't running the body because the body was very smashed after the rest of that day at the park hehehe.

I have an unpainted Excursion body for it, the body doesn't protect all that much anyways

newshocks_2.sized.jpg

here is pics of the reconstruction, also in the process of getting all alloy parts for the suspension.

http://rcsavage.net/gallery/album02

Last edited:
Sounds like he found out in practice what I told you about during install Çh®i§tiªñ. The HB shocks have weak ass rod ends and the HB lower spring retainers won't handle a beefier rod end.

hey supafly, where did you get hotbody shocks in blue? i have some identical to those but they're gpm and they're purple w/yellow springs. by the way, what lb. are those springs?

Last edited:
:thumbdown On the shocks then. Until they get their poop together. Thats a lot of money to drop and not get 'better than stock'. Unfortunately, I already did the damage. Time to move on and get something better.

have you had any problems with the aluminum shafts themselves or just the plastic ends?? you could just use your stock plastic ends...no big deal.

No, what I meant was the pics that I have seen and the statements of the shafts being faulty is what concerns me most. What's weird about it is, when I do a drop test from about 2 1/2 feet high, the shocks dont seem to give at all. And the springs are only 4lb w/40 wt. oil. I think the break point lies somewhere in that test. Meaning that they can't withstand abrupt shots within a certain impact range. There are a few who can attest to this type of breakdown since they have had it happen on 3 shocks at once.

In my opinion, based on the results in the field, is that the mere length of the shaft creates a weakness at the higher end of the fulcrum, under immediate load, which in turn, ends up being bent shafts close to the shock body itself. Could very possibly be that the cylindrical area that mates it to the shaft could be defective in some way not allowing the shaft to immediately be compressed smoothly. If so, then the plate my be applying side force to the inside of the shock body making it even more difficult to initally compress. This again can be observed in the short drop test. Dont forget, the shafts could also be flexing. I just hope they pay attention to everyone with the problems and get them fixed.

I wanted to use the Proline ball link connectors on my shock shafts. Too bad they wouldnt have fit right. Had to buy extra parts to mount them securely. Had to switch the bottom spring cups to avoid binding. And can't fix a leak..... can't wait til I hit some jumps like I did with Woodie. Still in initial tuning and ease-in process.

Hey Twiztid, did HB ever make things right with you?

-Chris

Last edited:
Nice vid Supafly:clap: I could have sworn I saw that vid about a month ago. Anyways, good job on the hardcore testing on the Savage!!! Çh®i§tiªñ, I havn't heard a single thing back from HB. I'm so glad I didnt get those crappy shocks from HB. Sorry to hear that you guys are having probs with them. What about you Chris, any word back from HB on the shocks???

I posted the vid on wildhobbies about a month ago. I am going to go back to that spot soon and shoot a new video.

imnotsure, those arent HB shocks in blue, they are from Team Blue Star, and yes they do look alot like the new GPM shocks, the rod ends on them are much much stronger than the HB shocks

do you not know what lb. the springs are? that's one thing i haven't found out on the gpm springs. i know there's some sort of color code thing but they do look identical to gpm.

Attachments

• oioioi.jpg
    oioioi.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 90
If I tank the HB shocks in a bash session, my replacement is going to be a solid set of all aluminum T-Maxx shocks and the New Era upper A-Arms that will take the T-Maxx shocks.

Hopefully, by the time that occurs, someone will have come out with a great set of Savage shocks. Until then...here's hoping my HB set-up doesn't go bad. BTW, no problems with leaks or bent shafts yet.

Very cool vid !!! You were so close to landing that...Get more vids of you next attempts !!

SkyMaxx: T-maxx shocks on a savage??!?!?!
Are you nuts!?!?!?!
4in vs 6in of travel is no contest

Get the GPM or Team Blue Star shocks, they are very strong.
the rod ends on way stronger than the crappy HB shocks

LOL...with the T-Maxx shocks mounted to the top A-arm, you get the same travel as you would with the regular shocks. It is engineered to give you the same suspension.

• Here's some pics of what Sky is talking about...
fc0b1466.jpg
fc0b1462.jpg

hmmm, tats just doesn't look as stong to me

I would like toa see a video of it in action

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
No, what I meant was the pics that I have seen and the statements of the shafts being faulty is what concerns me most. What's weird about it is, when I do a drop test from about 2 1/2 feet high, the shocks dont seem to give at all. And the springs are only 4lb w/40 wt. oil. I think the break point lies somewhere in that test. Meaning that they can't withstand abrupt shots within a certain impact range. There are a few who can attest to this type of breakdown since they have had it happen on 3 shocks at once.
try going down to 20wt and see if you have problems any more...the problem could be as simple as the wt of shock oil you use besides..shock oil is like 3 bucks anyways...and you try different set ups and what works best for what..no biggie. i run 10 weight and since then have not had a problem blowing out my stock shocks.

Back