dilema....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro dave

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay so maybe dilema is a little strong of a statement, it is more like a choice. I am getting ready to replace my trx .15pro. It has been an alright motor, but nothing to get all excited about. I was thinking about replacing it with a fantom, or os cv-rx or cv-x. I have heard nothing but good things about either motor. I am also intrigued with the 2.5 which should be available by the time I am ready to replace my old motor. However, reliability and tunability might be an issue with the 2.5. What are the pros and cons of each? Should I wait for the 2.5 or get the fantom or os?

thanks
d :batman:

I'm stuck in thesame hole but my engine is gone already!

Choices are great…
Please tell us a bit about your driving habits and what to want out of an engine.

I am a 31 year old Aries who likes long walks on the beach, and quiet dinners...oh wait what I want out of an engine...I want a good overall engine that has good torque, power and speed. I want an engine that will have good life to it, easy to tune, isn't too tempermental. I mainly bash (climbing, jumping, cruising around) but am intrigued by racing.

d

Same here What does everyone suggest?

I have the 2.5 and I am new to this. I have been able to bash alot more than tune. Power? I can make my maxx jump, on its lid.

The Fantom is a strong engine and likes the high RPMs Most people that get one Love it. I found it to be very reliable but a bit fickle at times. It will hold a tune well once you find it.

OS CV-R has a lot of grunt, low end, and performs well across the power band. Tuning is easy. I found that it has a huge sweet spot where it runs well. If you have an ear for tuning you can always find some more power. It is a very reliable choice.

The 2.5 Has the most power of all the engines listed. Tuning is easy with a large sweet spot. Over all I like this one the best. As for the reliability, it is easy to start and I haven’t had any issues with it yet. How long will it last? As of this time I don’t think anyone knows.

As you can see All my stuff is well tested.

eng.jpg

Last edited:
I like the Fantom if your good at tuning you will have no trouble with it. O.S. cv-x would also make a good basher engine in a maxx. The O.S. cvr-x I found to be a little lacking in my maxx but others say they like it.

FastEddy how much fuel have you run through your 2.5???

It all depends on what you are looking for as Fast Eddy stated. Fantoms do not have the low end grunt that an OS has but makes more power at higher rpms, I am using an OS CVX .15 with an AE pipe and duratrax header and I love it!!

Originally posted by NCNitro
I am using an OS CVX .15 with an AE pipe and duratrax header and I love it!!

I might go with this set up, and wait and see about the 2.5. I can always have more than one right? Seems like the motto of my life....

Originally posted by Hunter
FastEddy how much fuel have you run through your 2.5???

I'm still on the light side of 1 gallon. IMO still not done breaking it in.

A little story for the Youngster...

A young Male LLama and an old male LLama standing on top of a hill looking at a herd of girl LLams.
The young LLama says, Lets RUN down and have our way with one of the girl LLamas. The old LLama says, No, Lets WALK down and have our way with all of them.

Last edited:
Originally posted by FastEddy
A little story for the Youngster...

A young Male LLama and an old male LLama standing on top of a hill looking at a herd of girl LLams.
The young LLama says, Lets RUN down and have our way with one of the girl LLamas. The old LLama says, No, Lets WALK down and have our way with all of them.

that's not the way i remember it being told, ;) and I think the subtlety might get lost on who it was intended for. :llama:

pony.gif

Then when they walked downt here they got there freak on....

Those of you who think the Fantom lacks for low end grunt, have either not geared it properly or not tuned it properly. The Fantom, though designed as a top end racing engine, produces plenty of torque with the stock gearing, but can really get it on with a better gear ratio. I run mine with a 17/72 and it rockets off the line, and climbs just about any incline.

Nice :llama: anecdote, but I concur...the subtlety was most likely lost on the target...

I think Fast Eddy said it best. The Fantom is a high end racing engine (I have one) and the OS is a low end monster. But also, like Sky, I have changed to a lower gearing (16/73) With this gearing, it has plenty of low end and still keeps a decent top speed. The only problem I've had is the carb. I finally got wise and swapped out the TRX carb and have not had nearly the problems. I think this only applies to the roatry carbs. I have not heard of anyone having problems with Fantom's slide carb.

For all around bashing though, I would have to say the O.S. would be the better choice. It seems to be easier to tune and a little less finikey.

They are both good engines, I think you'll be happy with either one really.

i have the new 2.5 and i have to tell you it is awesome! starts easy runs great ! and more power than you are going to beleive. wheeles on demand! you will be smoking them all! live hard and drive fast!

Back