differentials...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rukk

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My diffs aren't sounding too good though they appear to be working ok. I'm thinking I need to replace the bearings. I know the rear center drive seems to have a touch of play in it.

Thing is, does the diff get diff oil of some various weights or does it get lithium grease. I can't seem to get a fix on what I need. I'm just a basher with a model 4908.

Thanks for the help.

Maxx diffs are not sealed. I use white lithium grease in mine. Make sure you properly shim the diffs, and they will last quite a while.

Actually it depends on what model. The 4907 has sealed diffs

I did not know that. I do know most of the earlier Maxxes the difs are not sealed.

So which model do you have Rukk

I have the 4908 and I believe I've finally determined that mine are sealed. On the exploded view of the diff, it has a part number for diff fluid which is a kit of three different weights, 10k, 30k, and 50k, I believe. So I think I need diff fluid and not the grease but I hear folks talking about grease so hence my confusion.

I read somewhere just a bit ago that the 4908 was the first one with sealed diffs while prior models were open and used grease. Seems that may be accurate.

You might like bad horsie's diff locking grease. It is super thick and tacky and causes the diff to act like a limited slip

Yes 4908 is sealed. It's the same maxx as the 4907 just without the 2.4 radio.

ofna 120k weight works well. For me 50k just wasn't thick enough.

Not to long ago i did a rebuild to my maxx diffs. the input shaft pinion and ring gear were the cause of my noisy diff. they were worn to the point they were skipping teeth, but visually looked ok. FYI

ofna 120k weight works well. For me 50k just wasn't thick enough.

Not to long ago i did a rebuild to my maxx diffs. the input shaft pinion and ring gear were the cause of my noisy diff. they were worn to the point they were skipping teeth, but visually looked ok. FYI

Hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm at about 8 gallons on my diffs since I last messed with them, lol. Only thing that I have really noticed is that the input shaft on the rear diff has a hint of wobble. Both diff make a bit of noise but no crunching or grinding. However, I'm sure that both of my diffs need some TLC.

I've always used associated 100k in my diffs, works great for me

I have always used High temp bearing grease on mine. And any time between 2-3 gallons of fuel is service time. Full tear down ! I have to admit I get more out of working on my r/c stuff at times than I do running them.:first_place:

Lets see some pics or I'm calling BS on your rig :D

^^^^^^^who are you talkin 2? ^^^^^^

Think i must of posted this on the wrong thread . Doesn't make sense . My bad lol .

Must be that stint of irish i have in me lol .

Back