Differential Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Çh®i§tiªñ

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am putting my diffs back together and noticed that there is about 1 to 1 1/2mm of play between the two spider gears. Is this normal? I forget..........

I was wondering the exact same thing thats why I searched for this thread. But....since no one helped out last time maybe we will get lucky this time. :doh:

I had play like that in mine also. But then I got a shim kit. I then skimmed the gears to get rid of as much play as possible but not so much that it binds up the gears. I have not noticed and problems or any extra wear.

Yep you can shim that play out,i had to make my shims but they should be available somewhere.

If you don't shim them you'll start to break teeth! I did! I couldn't find the stock replacment anywhere. and had to order Robinson Racing!! 30 somthing bucks!! :doh: I hope they last forever!!

Can someone post a pic of what they shimmed?

The problem I have is this, If I shim any more than the two shims I have in there, I would have to cut another 1 to 1 and 1/2 mm off my output cups for my CVD's. I have already had to cut enough off of those. Follow?

Last edited:
I think you shim between the spider gear and the bearing... sorry no pics.. never had to do it..

Back