Diff upgrade?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mypoorbrain

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have searched for this but everyone is having a different problem than me... My rear diff in my 4908 is having problems with the bearing on the pinion disintegrating. I know I am hard on it land jumps while on the throttle, but never full throttle, just enough to control the flight of the truck.

This started to occur when i upgraded to 40 series wheels. Then I twisted the rear center drive shaft out and swapped in a savage dogbone, only making this point more vulnerable...

Is there a different bearing or something that i can switch to that will reduce the chance of this happening? This has happened a couple times now and most recently, chewed the rear diff to bits, ring gear pinion and casing.

Check your bulkheads out. If something's broke that diff case will try to open up under load.

Back your slipper off a little. This should help to keep a little load out of the rear diff. Helps the whole drivetrain really.

bulkheads are fine...

slipper...good call... now I just feel like a noob... round 3 here we come.

The slipper is pretty over-looked. If you punch the throttle and it goes, there isn't much of a reason to think about it. You want it to slip just a little off the line. Then when you land off of a big jump on the throttle, it will slip and absorb the shock load.

I was horsing around last summer doing wheelies and I had the slipper set pretty tight... Of course now it just dawned on me :second_place:

Back