cvec pipes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike don't waste your money dude. Have you not read all the threads where people talked about what a POS those are?

This is the pipe and header of choice cheaper for the whole setup than that choad of a pipe.

Associated Muffler Tuned Pipe

DuraTrax Manifold w/Gasket & Coupler Overdrive ST

Combined: $29.38
I tryed the 10 off 25.00 and they expired friday but I will try and locate new ones then it would only cost around 25.00 shiped X

I like cvec pipes:) Cvec makes a good line of pipes the one in your link makes great low end power. I think that pipes body will be to short to line up with the hole in the chassis. But thats not a problem you would just need a longer coupler from the header or you can cut a hole in the body and run the stingers out the side then there is the cvec rear exhaust header.

There are some downsides to cvec pipes you need to be real good at tuning your carb and pipe to match, and most tracks wont let you run one in a race.

The shape means it will also be a low end pipe, dont know about the fit I've never run one.

i know thats what i want a low-end pie
edit: pipe

Well then get one:)

Last edited:
that pipe is for a Nitro TC3
I suggest going with the one X provided
it looks like a low end pipe ;)

Pipe

The setup that X_789 suggested is what I run. It is a great low end setup. You can use your stock header with the AE pipe if you don't want to upgrade to a big tube header. I would stay away from the CVEC pipes. They are overpriced, and from what I have seen are more trouble than what they are worth. Who needs a pipe with moving parts? That's just one more thing to worry about.

To each his own...yet again I'll throw my piece of mind in to the fray and contradict what X_789 has to say...but that's what this forum is all about! Offering our personal experience and opinions!

X - True, I've NEVER heard anything bad about the AE pipe!

If you don't take the time to learn and understand how the CVEC ipes work...and more importantly, don't take a little extra time when you install them, the CVEC pipes can be a mess to deal with.

With a little understanding and a few extra minutes during install - NOTHING CAN BEAT a CVEC pipe!

Check here for my install tips:
http://www.maxxskunkworks.com/ModsCVEC.htm

Originally posted by Retread316

With a little understanding and a few extra minutes during install - NOTHING CAN BEAT a CVEC pipe!

This is coming from a guy that runs Megatech m16 engines and wants me to belive a ported pro .15 is the badest small block there is. Stop pulling on my leg or you ARE GONNA RIP IT OFF. X

Originally posted by Retread316

NOTHING CAN BEAT a CVEC pipe!

Cmon Retread, nothing beats a cvec? Please! I totally agree with X. I also use the AE pipe and Duratrax header now and I have tried alot of different combos and I like this one the best. But now that I know you use Megawreck engines, Cirrus servos and cvec pipes, all I can really say is...better you than me. Mike don't WASTE your money on that cvec, I have included a link that explains tuned pipes for you, Retread you might want to read this too (sorry it's not a link to your site) but notice what it says in big bold letters in the desciption of the AE pipe, especially if you are looking for low end. Even Fantoms new pipes are copies of the AE design at about three times the cost. However you will need to trim the header or pipe just a bit to fit it in the stock location.

http://home.attbi.com/~keubstudios/truck/rccb/pipes/pipes.htm

I have tried many pipes over the years and have had a chance to try many of them on the same platforms. TRX .15, Fantom .15, OS CV-R .15, OS CV-R .12, OS TR .12 and a few others.

The CEVEC pipe offers tuneability but that’s about it. I learned the hard way that it is temperamental on its best days. At one point I installed it on a brand new Fantom before breaking it in. Long story short it wouldn’t start. Thought it was a bad engine. I installed another pipe I had and Vroom first pull. After a gallon or two I re-installed the CVEC and no go again. I took the insides out of the pipe and it started up fine. I chose not to accept that the CVEC didn’t work and played around with all the adjustments for the piston and could never get the engine to hold a good tune with the piston installed.

When the engine was tuned I did notice the difference in the available torque curve for different settings but the hassle of having to retune the engine every run wasn’t worth having the flexibility of changing the torque curve.

My belief is that the piston spring tension changes with the temperature of the engine / pipe causing the engine tuning to be inconsistent.

If you know where you want your torque to be, choose 1 pipe and header and be done with it. If you want to change your torque curve get a second pipe. Its easier to change a pipe than it is to adjust a CVEC and the consistency of your tune isn’t as susaptable to the changing temperature of your pipe.

The value of an opinion...

Apparently you have not seen pics of the new CVEC...VERY short divergent cone (GREAT low RPM power/torque):

cveg1012.jpg

You can't get too much steeper on the divergent cone than that - it's similar in appearance and angle to the AE. Ease up dudes, I never said anything against an AE. I've heard GREAT things about AE pipes, can you TUNE an AE pipe? Can you tweak it for better high RPM or better low RPM response? NO. When the AE pipe hits high RPM, does a valve open up and let it rip with full authority right through top end? NO.

I've done extensive research on Nitro pipes - I know and understand the principles. I've also seen most other pipes in action (curiosly though, none of the locals use AE pipes)...and I decided upon the CVEC based on all the info I could gather.

You're judging me because I used and like the Megatech M-16? That's pretty darned shallow, immature and shortsighted of you. I've heard a lot of crap about the engines too - maybe I just got lucky with the one I received. But, based on MY personal experience - I like the M-16. Same thing with the Cirrus servos. Save a buck (a lot of bucks)...get a good product, what the heck do you expect me to say?

So you say read the article - and if you do, you'll understand my appreciation of the CVEC design. It does not require a comprimise in either low or high end response. You contradicted yourself by pointing out that article. Also that article is FANTASTIC...one of the first ones I found and read when I myself wanted to know how this stuff works - but it's nearly two years old. It does not have the new CVEC design taken into consideration.

Isn't this what the friggin forums are about? Offerring advice and opinions based on our own knowledge and experiences? I'll NEVER slam, slander, whine, bash, trash anyone for offering their honest, straight opinion.

Do you have a problem with me linking to my site? If you do...let me know instead of plugging a snide little remark in your post.

Get them Retread:)

Its quite simple if your good at tuning and you have half a brain get a cvec. But if on the other hand you dont know how to tune your engine and pipe for peak power then get any other pipe. There are alot of things to look at when picking your pipe, color, type of power curve it makes, fit, brand, $$$$$(costs), header choice annd so on and so on.

Back