Correct GA wire for charger lead.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Simple question, I hope. I bought a charger for my 2S lipo's, but, it came with 18GA charge leads, so, my question is, what would be a good GA wire to charge 2S 5200MAH lipo's with? My plan is just to have a lead made for my charger, since that is the quickest option for me. I just need the right wire.

14AWG works for my charger wires. 2S and 3S ~5000/5300mAh. Charge at 1C. 14ga will flow the current without restriction as well as being heavy enough to survive the continuing action of hooking, disconnecting and moving the charger/wires about.

From my experience, 16ga would carry the current o.k., but is too light and vulnerable to damage for use in the shop. On the other hand 12ga is much too inflexible to deal with on the shop bench. 14ga is more flexible and is the best compromise for the charging I do.

Hope this helps. Cheers. 'AC'

It all depends on the length of wire and current you need to push through that length where 16AWG is min for 5A but I charge at 30A so I use 10AWG for my charge leads:

1680618740472.png

I usually use 12AWG but if you're not charging at 10A or less then you could get away with 16AWG as long as the leads arent super long. If your charger doesn't go over 6A you can probably get away with the 18AWG leads you have. Just feel them periodically while charging and make sure they arent getting hot to the touch.

I usually use 12AWG but if you're not charging at 10A or less then you could get away with 16AWG as long as the leads arent super long. If your charger doesn't go over 6A you can probably get away with the 18AWG leads you have. Just feel them periodically while charging and make sure they arent getting hot to the touch.
I didn't want to take chances with the smaller wire, so I just had some leads made with 12 Gauge wire.