Converting T-Maxx to rally/on-road...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nintendodude

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I want to convert my dirt-jumping T-Maxx into a curve-hugging T-Maxx. Everything is stock right now, and here's what i'm looking to do:

Thicker oil in the shocks (but what weight?)
Stiffer springs (but how stiff?)
Thicker oil in the diffs (again, what weight?)
Slightly smaller tires and a smaller spur gear/larger clutchbell
anti-sway bars (I have not seen these, are they available?)

I assume that the best idea would be to have the shocks mounted as horizontally as possible, no?

Any tips, parts, suggestions or links would be appreciated!

If you want to put the Maxx on-road, the first thing you really want to focus on is dropping it as low as possible. Sway bars will help the roll. But if you leave the COG high it will still want to roll. Before I did anything else, I'd see if I can drop it far enough to at least get the diffs even with the center of the wheels so the driveshafts are horizontal. Higher than that and you'll still be plagued by issue with the COG and weight transfer.

Any recomendation on a good shock kit? I was looking at the Traxxas 8x anodized ones, but i'd prefer to just use 4 instead...

I run 2.8's on my Maxx if the terrain is gonna be mostly pavement or smooth, hard packed dirt. They just barely fit over the old 2.5 carriers. It takes some shimming on the stub shafts(old glow plug washers work perfect), and you have to drill out 12mm hexes to fit the bigger stub shafts. The rims need drilled out as well. I like the way it handles with the small tires. Way less stress on the drivetrain as well. Almost impossible to roll it. Now, I realize this is a bit of a cobbled up thing to do, but I had all the parts lying around, not being used. But in the end, it works out to be slop free, and will make people think your Traxxas servos are top end units.:) It turns quick with the little tires. I run Mashers in the back, and Talons in the front, cuz they're the only 12mm tires I have that are the same diameter.:)

I run 2.8's on my Maxx if the terrain is gonna be mostly pavement or smooth, hard packed dirt. They just barely fit over the old 2.5 carriers. It takes some shimming on the stub shafts(old glow plug washers work perfect), and you have to drill out 12mm hexes to fit the bigger stub shafts. The rims need drilled out as well. I like the way it handles with the small tires. Way less stress on the drivetrain as well. Almost impossible to roll it. Now, I realize this is a bit of a cobbled up thing to do, but I had all the parts lying around, not being used. But in the end, it works out to be slop free, and will make people think your Traxxas servos are top end units.:) It turns quick with the little tires. I run Mashers in the back, and Talons in the front, cuz they're the only 12mm tires I have that are the same diameter.:)

how about a pic?:p:

Nope. No Camera. Pretty much makes a maxx look like a pede. The wheel bases are pretty close. Quite a bit wider though. A deeper backspacing would probably work a little better. Still, handling is much improved as is durability.

You can lower your ride height by putting fuel line on the shock shafts, inside the shocks.

(first off dont laugh)

Integy makes a progressive spring assortment for the Maxx. i know, integy right! but there good springs. i use em. best thing is there relatively cheap. match that with some 45-50 wt oil (i use 50wt with heavy springs)

as far as diff lube. that would depend on how "you" drive. do you like to steer with the rear? put ofna 120k weight in the rear and leave the front open. or do you like more point and shoot. put the heavy oil in the front. personally i like i little oversteer.

I've read about a few sway bar kits being available, but they all use a four shock setup.
i have no personal experience. could get pricey. check out UE.copy this link.
http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/cgi-bin/store/10102.html?id=JbYcSHEg&mv_pc=9369

these towers, and a set of those "super shocks" and i want to say that maybe you could mod your upper arms a little(drill a hole) to get a set of LST sway bars to fit.

Back