Converting my T-Maxx to brushless

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showjyr

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've been out of the RC thing for years and just wanting to get back into it without messing with Nitro.
I've got a Tmaxx I built from the ground up with some high end parts...I can post up exactly what's there now or just post some pics as I forget half of what I did.

I'm fairly clueless about electric but know I want to go brushless and know I will need some grunt as it's on the heavier side.

All aluminum frame, lots of RPM, revo diffs, steel drive cups, titanium driveshafts, high end shocks, aluminum tie rods, revo cv's, 3.3 trans....that's what I can remember for now as it was an extensive and pricey nitro build.

What do I need? I'm fairly swamped with running my flooring business and building my Jeep but I'd like to squeeze this in....I really just need a decent shopping list as I don't have tons of time to research.

I'm not racing but I want it nice and fast without spending a fortune.

Thanks in advance.

Castle mamba monster 1/8 esc and motor packadge...is waterproof and plenty grunty...I'm trying to post a link but can't figure out new phone..just pop onto eBay and search it

Looks like the Momba Monster 2 is a decent package deal? $200 on Amazon.

Checking out batteries and chargers now...too many choices but I'm thinking 4s lipo.

I'll also need to figure out what motor mount and what else I'll need to do to my transmission.

4s is plenty from the start man..your gunnar want a set of rrp steel gears at some point but if u run your slipper proper you can get away without them for a while.....maybe

Yea. 4s. Depending how the ESC is wired (either way, honestly) I would prefer to run 2 2s batteries in series. Logic being if you puff a cell, a 2s is cheaper to replace than a 4s. SPC sells some pretty decent 2s2p batteries that won't break the bank.

Can I pick up an erevo or emaxx trans and put it in to make things easier? I'm running the 3.3 trans in an Supermaxx Chassis...will it just bolt in place? Are the driveshaft mount points/distances the same on the trans?

Any idea?

I ended up ordering the Hobby Wing EZrun Max 8

I need to decide on a battery...probably just going to go with a single 4s for simplicity's sake.
I also need to figure what charger....

Some guidance on both would be great.

Last edited:
I need to decide on a battery...probably just going to go with a single 4s for simplicity's sake.
I also need to figure what charger....

Some guidance on both would be great.
SMC and SPC batteries are both great brands and ones I'd recommend buying.

For a battery charger both the Hitec X2 AC Plus and Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo are both nice little chargers. No matter what charger or LiPo battery you buy - you will want to make sure you also buy a LiPo bag to charge and even store your batteries in.

Also, for the price point Duratrax Onyx 245 is a nice piece.

Cool, thanks.

I went and grabbed the truck out of my parents barn today...I'm not sure on what diffs are in it. I know at the time (4 years or so ago) they were the better diffs revo or erevo spec.

And after looking at my battery options/prices I think I will go with two 2s lipos..the esc is wired for them after all.

Do I need to do anything else for the trans? It's already FOC and is the grey 3.3

And Robinson Racing was mentioned for gears...what do I need? Stock tires,on the heavy side, 2200kv motor.

Sorry for so many questions but I've never played with electric and haven't even touched nitro in at least 3 years.

@showjyr one thing you haven't mentioned is how you're going to mount the brushless motor. I'm assuming you're using something like the Kershaw Designs t-maxx conversion kit? If so kits like KD and some others will include upgraded gears.

if it was me, I'd by the KD kit, Mamba Monster combo, a SPC or SMC LiPo. Then pick up a nice LiPo battery charger and call it a day for starters. Get the kit and electronics installed and see how it holds up. Upgrade from there as you need it, which you may or may not since it sounds like the T-Maxx is already pretty well upgraded the way it is.

@showjyr one thing you haven't mentioned is how you're going to mount the brushless motor. I'm assuming you're using something like the Kershaw Designs t-maxx conversion kit? If so kits like KD and some others will include upgraded gears.

if it was me, I'd by the KD kit, Mamba Monster combo, a SPC or SMC LiPo. Then pick up a nice LiPo battery charger and call it a day for starters. Get the kit and electronics installed and see how it holds up. Upgrade from there as you need it, which you may or may not since it sounds like the T-Maxx is already pretty well upgraded the way it is.

I looked at the kershaw kit but I only really need the motor mount and gears...I've got tons of spare parts, nuts/bolts/washers and all the tools I need to make other mounts and brackets.

I already ordered the Hobbywing Max 8 and I'm planning on....
Two of these- http://spcracingbatteries.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=102
Probably one of the chargers you linked and a lipo bag.

I ordered the Hitec X2 and a lipo bag...

How2rc makes several mounts but I need to figure out which one will work best...ideas?

I have a How2RC T-maxx mount. I got it after it had been repurposed to something else. It's very simple but super tough. I saw the other day they have one that mounts "high" so you can mount a battery under it. Cool idea, but I don't think it will hold up to a hard bashing. I'd get one with the ESC mount, if I was to buy one. The bonus to the Kershaw kit is that by the time you buy gears and a mount, you've spent as much or more than getting the well-designed and thought-out kit. I'm a DIY type of person, but I would look again at the Kershaw kit. Otherwise, get a Robinson Racing FOC.

I'm going to go with the Kershaw I guess. I don't feel like piecing stuff together.

I pulled the engine, fuel tank, extra servo and whatever else off the truck tonight.
I also pulled the trans to see what it looked like inside...it's in perfect condition.
It's FOC'd so how do I get reverse with it converted to electric? It just spins free when turned backwards.
Do I need anything that's not in the Kershaw kit?
Do I need to do anything else to the trans

I also discovered I have the diffs with the 4 screws which I believe were the better ones from the brushless??

Last edited:
@showjyr the Kershaw Designs kit will have what you need to complete the conversion.

I ordered the Kershaw kit, and 2 SMC 2s lipos in the 7200ma 60c flavor.

If this is as awesome as everyone says my next project will be converting my Jato 3.3 to brushless. I'd like to see if I can make one of the how2rc mounts work...there doesn't seem to be much for options on converting the jato.

What size motor and what gear combo? looking to make it very fast as that's primarily what it was as a 3.3...great high speed runs.

Well....after some programming issues with the ESC I took it out for the first time tonight...holy crap! Why would anyone want more than 4s? It's borderline uncontrollable...
I cartwheeled it down the pavement at about 30mph(no real damage) and I can't keep the front tires down for squat. It will wheel stand with a punch of the throttle at like 30.
I love it! aaaand will probably never touch nitro again lol

The only issues I had:
The Kershaw kit DOES NOT work with the supermaxx chassis...I had to drill another hole, enlarge 2 chassis holes, move it the the other side of the chassis and only mount with 3 screws.
The Kershaw 3.3 kit comes with one(short) battery tray and I had to modify it to hold two batteries.
The Kershaw trans gears mesh roughly and are noisy.
The Hobbywing ESC WILL NOT power the Traxxas TQi even though it's supposed to.

So ummm ya...big thumbs up for electric and brushless. Thanks for the help guys!

Back