Converting a 21 to 25

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satnerd

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi everybody and thanks for an exellent forum

I'm a luckily owner of a Savage-21 - at least I was until yeasterday:whhooo:

A friend of mine bought a Savage-SS with the .25 engine and I'm totally parked compared to this monster!

I'm thinking of upgrading my Savage with a new engine and would like to get some advice here first:

1. I have read that it is possible to replace the .21bb engine with a completely new .25 engine from HPI for $99.........does anybody know if this is only for US customers?
The reason for asking this question is that I live in Norway and my reseller didn't know about this.........
This would indeed be the best option to me since I don't need my .21bb engine anymore - and I have only used it for 3 hours

2. If I just order a completely new .25 engine from HPI what else do I need? I guess I also have to order the 3-plate clutch and new exhause-pipe?
Or do I have to order anything else

And what should I pay for these parts?

3. Maybe there are someone else on this forum located in Scandinavia somewhere who can give me some hints on where to buy cheap parts?
I guess it won't pay of if I order a new engine from ex. US and have to pay a lot for custom, taxes, shipping....etc.....etc...

And maybe someone are having some kind og suggestions to make my car go even faster than my friends savage-SS:winnar:

I'm sorry for all these questions - and my bad English but I really hope someone could help me getting my car go real fast

Thanks!

This is off HPI's website...

"This exchange is for HPI USA customers only. If you are located outside of North America, please contact your nearest HPI branch or HPI distributor for information about their exchange policy. HPI USA does not ship overseas for exchange engines."

I've seen the .25 engine for around $150usd; but to be completely honest, you could spend the same amount on a different engine and get way more power. You should look into something like an XTM 24.7, Picco outlaw, Wasp...they are all competitively priced and will blow the HPI .25 away. Don't get me wrong, the HPI .25 is cool and its pretty fast, but there are better engines out there for the same price or a little more.

As for the 3 shoe clutch and exhaust, you don't need them but they help. You could technically get by with the stock parts from the beginning.

If you want to faster than an SS, don't get an HPI .25, get something else...

Thanks for the answer.
I have just read some topics regarding some problems tuning these engines compared with the easy tuning on a .25 from HPI knowing that I'm a totally fresh on this

And can you confirm that the other engines you are mention can use the same rotostart as I just bought for my .21 engine......It was a brilliant peace of equipment and I surely want to use this on my "new engine" aswell