Converted my Revo to Brushless :)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

override

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I kinda of wanted to leave the original restoration thread nitro so I'm just gonna make a new one for the electric side of this beast. :D

This Revo started its life with Bryson and continued its life with me. It has very recently undergone plastic surgery, some pricey upgrades and a little custom work. I tried to bullet proof the differentials as best I could with the Integy outer housings, RC Best diff cups and all "brushless" components. Did the I-Beam support aswell.

Got a good deal on the Tekno conversion kit used on ebay for $60 shipped, snagged a Traxxas Brushless transmission, RRP slipper kit, and RPM tru-track rear arms. Also picked up ceramic bearings for the knuckles and pulled the Hobbywing setup out of my buggy for this build.

DSCN0006_zps8117b817.jpg

DSCN0019_zps70503821.jpg

DSC02872_zpsea7a833b.jpg

Got the chassis stripped down for making fitting the transmission, I made a paper template for the adapter plate I am going to make. I used 1/16th inch angle aluminum since I had some spare left from doing my charger build.

DSC02871_zps9677c700.jpg

DSC02879_zpsf40e6238.jpg

DSCN0056_zpse289afb5.jpg

DSCN0054_zps56f57b7e.jpg

DSC02877_zpsb5dfac34.jpg

DSCN0058_zpsd3369513.jpg

DSCN0061_zps131fe173.jpg

DSCN0063_zps0617de72.jpg

DSCN0060_zps70d5f865.jpg

Once I got the tranny fitted, I went ahead and tried and assortment of shafts and cups finding all the ones I had were to short for the front. I got measurments and moved on to the next step, getting the tranny ready.

DSC02878_zpseef56a5d.jpg

DSC02881_zpsd747dced.jpg

Got the transmission out of the way and started to tackle the diffs, I had to do some grinding on the I-Beam support to get it to fit the cup properly. It took alot of shims to get everything to fit right. I had 4 shims on the cup output gear, two shims on the ring side output gear and 3 shims on the pinion gear. I fitted the other side exactly the same both have the same amount of play, one more shim to any spot would make things to tight. I chose some Racers Edge 50k fluid I had in my box from my Maxx build for the diffs. Diffs built and nestled nicely in the bulkheads, the Integy housings had some play in them but once the bulks were fitted to the revo the play disappeared. I was relieved with that. ;)

DSCN0018_zps6361bd95.jpg

DSCN0009_zps6f77633c.jpg

DSCN0080_zps9558c492.jpg

DSCN0082_zps0f82830e.jpg

DSCN0053_zpsac5513c9.jpg

Moving on to the ESC mount, it was intended to be used on the old 3.3 style tranny so ofcourse it did not line up with any holes on the new tranny housing. I ended up making a small bracket out of the same 1/16th aluminum to support the mount.

DSC02873_zps7dceacda.jpg

DSC02876_zpsaf301f32.jpg

DSC02900_zps3ce98295.jpg

DSC02904_zps7b23b6e2.jpg

DSC02903_zps178eeb6a.jpg

Everything put back together, I still want to upgrade the axles to some MIP ones (geez those things have gotten pricey) and I have a brand new set of Panther Pythons I still need to glue. Also I refreshed the shock oils with 45 in the rear and 35 in the front. Ended up going with a Gmade universal shaft, 130mm max length fits nicely. Had to bore the ends to 6mm which with my dewalt bits and drillpress was a bit of a task on the carbon steel.

DSC02912_zps599c530f.jpg

DSC02910_zpsddd51923.jpg

DSC02909_zps6f0c176d.jpg

DSC02908_zpsa9ee60f8.jpg

DSC02907_zps6763a1f7.jpg

DSC02913_zps2961286f.jpg

What do ya know the day I get everything put back together I met up with a buddy of mine who was buying a guitar off some kid. He had never seen RC stuff before and after a little test driving in a big ass open parking I was satisfied with my work. I had been watching him drooling over the site of the cars whizzing around and kept eyeballing me and the remote. I decided to let him give it a try, thinking to myself, what could go wrong its a huge open area. Boy was I wrong, he had the remote roughly 10-15 seconds and made two passes. On the second pass coming back toward him and I at full speed he froze up and slammed into an up-grade on the concrete. That hit stripped my servo, cracked my bulkhead in four places, broke both plastic supports on the steering arm side of the bulkhead and tweaked the frame a little. I got everything fixed the next day and luckily it only cost me about $20. Man I tell ya I apparently hadn't learned my lesson from the last time I let a noob drive one of my trucks, never again will a noob lay his hands on my Transmitter. :whhooo:

Last edited:
As always great work man
I didnt think it was that easy to drop the brushless tranny in the 3.3 chassis , least you dont have to upgrade the gears in the 3.3 trans I'm still debating on the rr gears on my revo but the price tag makes me wonder if its worth it
How do you like the tekno kit, thinking about doing a build with it??

I like the tekno kit, although I would hardpressed to spend $100 on it....If someone wanted to go a cheap way on this build you could easily make the tranny plate like I did, get a emaxx motor mount plate and mount the motor on the tranny. Then make a plate for the esc to sit on the shocks and then fab up or buy two cheap battery trays and bolt em down on each side so your weight distribution would be even. It may not look as pretty but it would most likely be cheaper than the Tekno kit and still accomplish the same purpose.

It is really easy to drop the tranny in just make sure the side that mounts to the chassis is the motor side or you may not get a proper mesh depending on your spur n pinion of choice.

Thanks for the compliments :) I'm taking it to the track tomorrow along with my freshly rebuilt DEX408!

Thats not a bad idea I think I will have most of the parts I need
Thinking about doing a budget build just for fun just need to wait on some parts to come
Think ill go order a 3.3 chassis, wondering if I can mount a motor plate to a 3.3 tranny hmmm
Now gotta go think

Looks good and tempting to do! I think its all that's left I could do to my revo....

i think if start another build now my wife may not see the funny side of things :)
i gotta finish this nitro revo first but the weather is making it so damn hard and plus I'm on daddy daughter duties today

Back