conrtoller help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkac3

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Which controller is best for my tmaxx 2.5R. I am getting ready to convert over to the 3.3 engine so which controller should i buy?

I have to ask a question does your T Maxx 2.5R have the Opti Drive module installed?
Does it already have a TQ 2.4Ghz radio system or is it an AM radio

If it has the Opti Drive Transmission many after market Transmitters and Receivers do not play well with the Opti Drive module and you may have to remove it.

Traxxas has a trade in program for older AM TQ transmitters and receivers to trade up to the TQ 2.4Ghz or the newer TQi 2.4 Ghz radio which will be fully compatible with the opti drive module.

I perfer the other radios after my experience with programing a new Traxxas TQi radio with no display and counting blinking lights was a real pain in the butt. I just got the throttle to work when I programed mine. Did not attempt to count blinking lights for the expotential settings on my Slash 4x4 VXL

I converted my Revo to a Spectrum DX3C and had to remove the opti drive module for the receiver to work properly. I cannot say all other After Market 2.4Ghz Transmitters and receivers have to have the module removed but in my experience the Spectrum radios will need for you to remove this module. The Spectrum DX3C has a 20 model memory cost about $140.00 bucks and every setting you will ever need is on a LCD screen. I have 3 of my different model R/Cs running on the DX3C.

I would not buy really inexpensive radio because they are too hard to program with just blinking lights because it is too time consuming. But if you like counting lights and hoping you did it right then inexpensive is the way to go ;o)

If you go with the 24hz with bluetooth the you can do all your settings with an Iphone or droid smart phone. I picked one up on ebay recently with reverse, t s m , telementry .
Also came with the 5 channel rereceiver and sensors. cost with shipping was 65 bucks

I prefer Futaba myself and currently own a 4PV and absolutely love it. Any 2.4 radio is way better than your previous radio both in range and response but I would recommend you get at least a 3 channel receiver and a radio with a LCD display(backlit if possible but not necessary). It makes adjustments much easier and more precise.

I would Def consider buying a radio with a channel or 2 more than what your current needs are in the event that your next purchase does have a need for one. A reverse module (as mentioned) will require that extra channel or possibly some telemetry etc. Where you can typically program multiple vehicles to one radio, it seems going a little bigger (spending a little extra coin up front) will help to keep you from having to replace this radio sooner than later. Also, having experienced the 'count the flashing light' programming feature on my traxxas radio, I will Def recommend staying FAR from that experience of your finances allow! Good luck!!! :thumbs-up:

Back