connecting rod blew!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedgedaddy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys, i was wondering how to install a new connecting rod in the 3.3. mine blew the lower bearing and bent the c.rod. so thanks brandon

hey guys, i was wondering how to install a new connecting rod in the 3.3. mine blew the lower bearing and bent the c.rod. so thanks brandon

Pull off the head and backplate. Then take something that won't damage the engine and CAREFULLY push up on the sleeve to get it all the way out. I use an old revo pushrod with the metal ball removed from the rod end it works good for me. Once the sleeve is out you can carefully pull the rod and piston off the crank pin and straight out the top. You're talking about the lower bearing on the rod right? Probably.....anyway make sure you pull the crank out and check the crank bearings. Even the tiniest bit of slop is unacceptable these engines will eat a crank bearing from time to time. If those are shot then spare yourself the agony and buy a new motor. If you must fix it then let us know I have a way to get that big bearing out.

Oh yeah there's a G clip on the wrist pin that you'll have to pull out with a hobby knife it's tiny be careful. Also make sure you pay close attention to the orientation of the pin put it back the way it came out. Lastly make sure the small oil hole on the new rod faces the front of the engine when you put it back together.

Thanks man, it's something I've done a few times but I finally wised up and got me a picco and a sirio. Not that the 3.3 is a bad engine I've repeatedly gotten 5-7 gallons on them but not without a couple bearing problems.

o.k thank you..that makes sense now. so.....I've looked online,on how to remove the G- clip holding the wrist pin in. and can't find too much helpful videos or descriptions.? any help?

Are you trying to save the clip or do you plan on replacing it with a new clip?
That kinda helps you determine how much force you plan on using. lol
For me, dental picks combined with good tweezers or hemostats (forceps) do the cleanest job with the least damage to the clip...

Using the hemostat (tweezer) see if you can dislodge the clip out of the groove and then slide the dental pick in behind to keep it from falling back into place while you reposition the hemostat.

Hopefully your new rod comes with one or two g clips. Chances are it'll go flying, it's the most dreadful part of an otherwise easy fix. And the tools that tgl told you about are perfect for that job.