Computer guy's I need your help...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbgagnon

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm at work right now and for some reason whenever I get a video and window's media player tries to download the codec something stops it.

My question to you guys is, How can I find out what codec is needed to play the specific file, and where can I download it from? There is no way that I can get a diff media player because I cannot install programs on this computer so I have to find a way to use what I've got.

Any help would be appreicated!

what MP version do you have?

open it up and right click up near the top and coose help and then choose media player help.

Thanks here it is.

Version 6.4.09.1128

Is the file you want to play .avi?

you need to get the newest version. I have media player 10. Update your safteware at Microsoft.

I can't do that....software changes are agaist uncle sam's rules. I would have done that a long time ago, but the boss says NO!

vbgagnon said:
I can't do that....software changes are agaist uncle sam's rules. I would have done that a long time ago, but the boss says NO!
I forgot your line of work. You can't do it at home then bring a copy to install?

nope...this sucks. Its not busy here right now and I would love to watch some vids, but 3/4 of them don't work because the download for the codec fails. If I knew which one was needed I would download i manually and do it that way.

If you can, download the copy of the Media player 10 from home and burn it on CD then installat work. Or is that a no no?

Well, I'm just downloading it right now! If I get heckled for it I'm just going to tell them that whenever I get an email that has a video I can't watch it. (Which is true) So that should justify my actions.

If you are caught, we will deny any knowledge of it and you will be disavowed. This message will make you giggle in 2 seconds.

"this message will make you giggle in 2 seconds."

It did too!

if you havent fixed it you can get media player 10 by doing the microsoft windows updates.. they shouldnt have a problem with you doing that.

Back